RI South Shore - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2001, 08:16 PM

RI South Shore

I fished with Pete Laviolette today, he is a very good fisherman. Took him up the sand trail to Quonochotaug. The fish were active. Pete took one fish about 30 inches. I took a picture and sent it to Juro by e-mail. Saw a small pod of false albacore for about a minute, in the breechway there were shad busting with some fair size bass hot after them. This was the top of the out going tide I would say they showed for better than an hour. One friend hooked one by surfcasting with a bobber with a fly suspended about three foot below the surface. I saw the fish looked about 20 lbs broke his 15 lb test line. Tomorrow we try my son's boat. Juro, toobad your busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2001, 08:28 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Boy we sure seem to see this guy in a lot of fish pictures! ;-)

Art - you're a great host! Wish I were there, as they say...
Old 09-14-2001, 07:27 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Art,
Sounds like RI's doing well. I may be able to make it out for a day this weekend with my dad in the area. Any suggestions on where to head? I'll be leaving from the Mystic River. Also, do you have any GPS coords of Sugar Reef?
Thanks,
nick
Old 09-15-2001, 06:23 AM

Hi all, Pete L. and myself went out in my son's boat yesterday. The seas were fairly rough, and while the fish were there, they were hard to catch. We went from Napatree to Quonochotaug, and back. Saw fish off Quonny, Bass. At the Watch Hill Reef Pete caught one False Albacore of between 6 and 7 Lbs. I am sending Juro a picture to post if he wants. Pete is an excellent fisherman and outfishes me, which I am glad, as I can fish anyday. I checked around , and there were many bass taken in the 15 to 20 lb range. The beaches are now open for 4wheelers, with a permit, $50. Misquamicut State Beach has bluefish at daybreak, and nightfall.
Nick, I don't have the coordinates of Sugar Reef. It was pretty rough yesterday, and I didn't see any small boats. I wouldn't want to give it out anyways as there is lots of rocks that expose at low tide. Fish around the red channel marker off of Watch Hill, you won't go wrong. Watch where the other boats go, but be careful. Go fishing
Old 09-15-2001, 08:22 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Aboard the Mako Bound
w/ Capt. Burton
(click to enlarge)

No doubt about it, Pete's a good fisherman - and Art, you are both a great host and fisherman! Sounds like you boys are having a great time on the Rhody coast. Wish I could have joined you but I need to save up my brownie points for my annual coho salmon and steelhead trip.

I'll see you soon though, our annual to Rhody is coming up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.