Plymouth is S M O K I N' (9/23) - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2001, 11:50 AM

Plymouth is S M O K I N' (9/23)

Plymouth has been productive over the last week. There are many fish in the 30”-36” range. Bait has been holding in the area of Long beach and Warren cove. Herring, some 2”-3” pogies and of course silversides are what’s on the menu and in great quantities. There’s a large school of shad just off the jetties that I’ve seen get hammered once by blues other than that they just seem to school in that area and appear to be untouched by the bass. Sunday 9/23 I got several bass over 30” and others in the 22” range on 2” peacock over chart over yellow over white clousers and 5” chart deep eel.
Lost 3 good ones on a #6 bonito bandit. I’d have them on for a minute or so with the #6 but as soon as I was able to turn them (or get them to stop towing me around) the slightest loss of tension let them spit that small hook easily. The small white bonito bandit was getting whacked left and right but I took it off because I wasn’t able to keep the larger fish on. I was fishing from a yak and it definitely gives you an advantage but shore guys casting pencil poppers with droppers were doing well too. Last Tuesday there were some monsters in the cove for a short time, I have not seen them since but surface activity with 30”+ fish is enough to keep my interest. Morning has been better than evening but last night 6pm-7pm was pretty hot. I don’t usually give such specifics in the few reports I post but at this time of year when fish start to migrate what’s hot one day may not be the next and there is plenty of room in this area so get down to Plymouth and enjoy it while/if it lasts. Maybe we can track the schools if everyone posts what they know. I won’t be able to make it down there tonight and still remain married. I think with the front coming through it’s going to be nuts there. I fear that once the storm hits it will be a done deal. The top of the incoming and begining of the outgoing gives the best action near shore, during the 1/2 outgoing the actions move over to the rocky areas in Warren cove and out to the rockpiles straight off the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2001, 11:57 AM
Middle Aged Member

Great report. Want to see it cool down real quick - just invite me down.

Fred A.
Old 09-24-2001, 12:21 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sounds awesome Jim... sounds like you're into them thick right now. I think you're right, a storm will move them along, unless you have another wave coming up behind them
Old 09-24-2001, 01:07 PM

Quote:
juro (09-24-2001 12:21 p.m.):
......a storm will move them along, unless you have another wave coming up behind them
I'm not sayin nuttin ;-) ...ok I'll say this: PI is dead, and Boston Harbor is dead.

Lefty
Old 09-24-2001, 09:34 PM

Jim...my gal pal said that I've been fishing too much and that I'm going to have to "make a choice"...'sure going to miss her!
Old 09-25-2001, 09:39 AM

They are still there as of this AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.