9/19 Western RI report - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2001, 10:40 AM
_

9/19 Western RI report

Started at Watch Hill and hiked out to Napatree at sunup. Nothing from the beach on the way out, but found plenty of willing schoolies in the rocks when I got to the end of the beach. There were some breaking fish a little ways off the rocks. Couldn't ID them and they were way out of range. Headed back to the car (still nothing along the beach) and drove to the west wall for the top of the tide. Nothing there. Went west again and stopped at Charlestown Breachway where I found only snappers. Continued west to Weekapaug and managed to see one lone albie and a couple schoolies on the outside of the west jetty. Got a couple of casts to them but no takers. Went back to Watch Hill and hoofed it out to Napatree Point (again!) but didn't find anything this time. Headed back and fished around the jetty by the cabanas until it was time to go home. Hooked one more schoolie near the jetty just after sunset. Was hoping to do some sight fishing along the beach, but big waves and dirty water made it a little difficult. There was some small bait around. No sign of peanuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2001, 12:13 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Quentin,
You covered some serious ground, I'm impressed. I saw some Albies in FIS last weekend, but only for a little while. Which cabanas did you fish in front of? Seaside Beach Club? If so, that's where I've spent most of my summers for the past 10 years.
Nick
Old 09-20-2001, 12:36 PM

Quinten,
Buddy, nice effort. Napetree death march twice? YOU DA MAN!
Sounds like Rhodeyfest conditions. We should have the Rhodyfest at Marblehead, Ma. this year. ;-). Thanks for the report. Surprised the West Wall was off.

Lefty
Old 09-20-2001, 02:00 PM
_

I was training for the rip trip! Actually, the walk isn't that bad -- maybe 20-30 minutes depending on how fast you walk and how often you stop to cast, look and listen. Nice firm sand too!

Nick, the cabanas I was talking about are the ones right by the yacht club parking lot. They're on your left as you cross over to the beach side. Not sure of the name.
Old 09-20-2001, 02:28 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Quentin,
Nope, those are the Watch Hill Cabanzas. I was talking about the ones near Weekapaug, right across the street from the market and the tackle shop.
Nick
Old 09-20-2001, 09:57 PM

Quentin you are close to some real fish, remember Napatree has two sides. Weekapaug has some bass, A friend, fishing with me took a 31" bass fishing for only 2 hours on the top of the incoming tide. Saw an albie caught at Quonochotaug. I keep telling myself, be patience. A 20 lb bass know leads the flyrod contest at Weekapaug Bait Shop. I caught nothing. I think I will take up golf. Hi Capt.Ray S.
Old 09-21-2001, 08:21 AM
_

Art, I took a look at the back (north) side but didn't spend a lot of time there. I will give it a try next time! What tide do you recommend for the north side?
Q

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.