Winter Already (Shack Nasty Alert) - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2001, 01:23 PM

Winter Already (Shack Nasty Alert)

Itís a little early for a karma check but man I canít believe people are already in shack nasty mode with so many big fish in the neighborhood. Iíve recently received several emails and links to other discussions that center around ďIím better than you, smarter than you, cast farther than you, donít dress like you, donít need to help people like you, etcÖĒ You just have to laugh at these people.

Iím glad I have the memories of another great season albeit not as much free time as last year (you gotta go back to work some time) made new friends and have expanded my abilities. Rhodeyís going to be a blast and then I probably have too many real world projects to allow me back on the water.

Get out while you can, itís gonna be a long winter. Letís figure out what we can do to make it bearable, like casting sink tips to holes in the iceÖÖ

Roop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2001, 01:40 PM

Jeff - the memories of the summer past, along with those I'm about to make hunting this fall, will carry me through the dark winter ahead - or at least until the shows start again!

I also plan to keep busy tying & prepping for next summer's pursuit of piscatorals by regularly attending club meetings, monitoring this and other BB's, and reading the small library I have assembled over the last few months.

I can't say I'm looking forward to winter but I'm prepared!

Oh yeah - I can rant better than you!
Old 10-09-2001, 02:07 PM

Ya know, when they say "the Fat Lady is warming up to sing"? Well each year at the same time I'm warming up for some real great internet bar room brawls! Gloves off, knock em down web site bashing, slug fests! But I promise, this winter boys, I will try to behave ;D Maybe I'll concentrate more on practicing my Irish fiddlin than spoutin off.
Roop, glad you had a good season. Wish I caught more exotoids.

Lefty
Old 10-09-2001, 02:24 PM
Fly chucker

Well, is it that time of year again when we take stock of our personal inventory and appreciate the past months of fishing? We had our first real frost on the grass here in central Connecticut this morning, so I guess winter isn't as far away as I had hoped it would be. Personal commitments will probably keep me away from the coast for the remainder of the year, but I can't complain. I didn't catch as many fish as I usually do, but I attribute much of that to the learning curve of a new area. I now know of some great spots along the coast of CT and RI, and look forward to hitting them harder next year. I also stumbled across this bulletin board, lurked for awhile, and then jumped in. I'm grateful for everyone's sincere help in providing local knowledge over the past several weeks to the new kid on the block. ;D You all seem to be a good bunch, and someday I hope to get on the water with you.

In the meantime, I'll stay busy until spring tying flies, attending shows, and catching up on some reading. My wife and I are also in the process of shopping for our first house, so if that happens I'll be plenty busy. In fact, spring will be here before I know it.

Have fun,

Mark
Old 10-09-2001, 03:47 PM

geeze jeff, you gotta get on better list of discussion boards. I agree it's way too early for the S-N's to flare up. If they do it'l be time to hit the bunker until we see signs of spring.

Just say NO! to the Shack Nasties!
Old 10-09-2001, 03:48 PM
Middle Aged Member

It's been a strange season with multiple planes of consciousness. On the fishing plane April seems like yesterday and on other, less pleasant, planes it seems like a year ago. Did far too much thinking about fishing and not enough doing.

On shack nasty internet rage - I find it entertaining, to a point. But some threads are best left to fade away. And I cringe when I see someone I know and like get sucked into the melee.

Looking forward to Rhode Island this weekend. The finally for me. Then again....

Fred A.
Old 10-09-2001, 10:21 PM

Full Moon was on that day... and all the S-N wolfoids came out to play with your mind.
I too don't want to play with you anymore, here's why
1- You catch more bass than I do
2- Even with your reel, I still get fouled up (wonder why you sold it to me?)
3- Your flies are nicer than mine
4- Your waders keep getting newer each time out
5- Your wading boots don't take in sand like mine
6- My cell phone got corroded when I tried to call you
7- Your chest pack fits perfectly and has lots of goodies hanging onto to it
8- Lastly, and be careful with this one, your rod is one weight heavier than mine

So there, it should take you all winter to get over this tirade.

Have a great Rhody fest and catch an albie for me while puffing on a cubanoid after the day with some Holy Peat Water from FredA
Old 10-10-2001, 04:59 AM

The reason why I flyfish is to get away from the everyday nasties one gets at work. Fishing is for fun and not competition. After all the fishing is done perhaps we could all get together in Boston for a evening meal and talk about the*fishing. FishHawk
Old 10-10-2001, 06:58 AM

Roop
I find you and your gutless sideline sniper type posts to be exceedingly funny. I guess if you don't have the stones to participate then maybe ... well I guess you know the rest!
Old 10-10-2001, 07:20 AM

HA! Good to know I'm not the only person who just worries about getting out & fishing...

I think after the niceities of Rhodey my alter ego might raise it's uglier head. Yeah, that's the ticket. Maybe I'll take some lessons from the PENGUIN on how to let out the other personalities lurking within. Yeah.....

On second thought, I think, just maybe, I can focus on tying only a few specific patterns this winter, maybe build a new rod, sew up some new waders...

Looking forward to numb fingers this weekend!

Roop
Old 10-10-2001, 09:34 AM
Fluff

I have a couple pair of neoprene gloves which will languish unused this weekend, and I'm sure I'll hear their respective jealousy resounding from the back hall as Saturday becomes Sunday and you guys are suffering numb fingers, frayed leaders, leaky waders and the like. Roop - Go to WalMart and buy some of my neoprene glove's cousins and take them with you. At least your numb fingers will thank you. My gloves, on the other hand, will never forgive me for putting on my tuxedo and being "social" or "charitable" or "benevolent" (DOPE !) Saturday night as opposed to freezing my own fingers off in Rhode Island.

Have fun everyone - looking forward to much vicarious enjoyment through your posts ;D
Old 10-10-2001, 03:39 PM
President of CAC

Ahhh..... I did not check the board last night or all day today... am I missing something?
Old 10-11-2001, 08:04 AM
Fluff

Quote:
striblue (10-10-2001 04:39 p.m.):
Ahhh..... I did not check the board last night or all day today... am I missing something?
Didn't miss a thing John. All that's going on here is the wish and hope we've got a couple weekends (maybe FOUR) to round out the season, and a little tongue-in-cheek reference to Seasonal Affected Disorder, Striper/Bone/Exotoid/Shark (fill in personal preference species/location here) Style. ;D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.