Trout streams in the Freeport ME area? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2001, 03:23 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Trout streams in the Freeport ME area?

A friend and coworker is visiting Bean country and she is curious about the trout FF'ing opportunities in the Freeport area. I think she's willing to drive a little bit for quality streams... any suggestions Chris, Darryl, Maine locals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2001, 08:08 PM
Recent Member

Since it's been so long since I left Maine and those were my "fuzzy" years I can't come up with any stream names but might I suggest checking in at LL Bean's or even the Kettery Trading Post on the way up for local information and probably, but don't quote me on this, fishing licences and regulations...

Just a thought...
Old 09-28-2001, 09:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Probably the best place right around Freeport that is still open would be the Presumpscot River in Standish. The stretch of from the outlet of Sebago Lake to where the first impoundment pond starts widening out-about three hundred yards below the Rt. 35 bridge-is open year round to flyfishing. There are beautiful brookies in their spawn finery, browns and landlocked salmon.
From Freeport head south on 95 to 295 into Portland take Rt. 302- the 1st Forest ave exit- follow through Portland/ Westbrook and into Windham. Around rotary staying on 302. Take a left onto Rt. 35- just after the Dunkin Donuts. About 1 mile down you'll come to the Bridge that crosses the Presumpscot. There is adirt lot on the left before you cross the river. Pull in at the electrical substation. the next entrance is in pretty rough shape.
We just got some rain and the water temps are finally getting good. This is about 1 hr from Freeport.
Luck, Chris
Old 09-28-2001, 09:23 PM

Also, north on 95 to the RT. 201 west exit in Fairfield. Head west toward Skowhegan. Just after the The Irving Mainway truckstop- on the left- take the first right- this is the village of Shawmut. Right at the end of the street, Cross the tracks toward the mill. bear right follow the canoe portage signs down to the river. Plenty of parking. Don't worry if there are several cars this stretch of the Kennebec is wide and very wadable. Bronws and Rainbows, Some very large fish and streamers are the fly for this time of year. The Alewife hatch in on. This is about one 1hr 15 min. from freeport.
Old 09-29-2001, 08:14 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

WOW - I'm tempted to make the drive myself! Thanks guys, hope to get up there soon.

I haven't fished Maine brookies since the late 80's at B.I.W working on a 'boat' too - 506 footer w/ a 62 foot beam (the Aegis Class Destroyer Project USS Arleigh Burke DDG-51 Commisioned 1991).

Spent most of my fishing time chasing stripers at Popham and various inlets though. Hung out at LL Bean a lot, 24 hour fly shop and the guys working there let me use the shop vise during the off hours.

I'd love to get up north to fish landlocks and big brookies with you guys next spring.
Old 09-29-2001, 04:47 PM

You're always welcome. I have some great spots.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.