The Bible By Joe Brooks - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2001, 03:53 PM
President of CAC

The Bible By Joe Brooks

I just finished THE authority on Saltwater flyfishing. The Book,"Saltwater flyfishing" By Joe Brooks is a must read for all saltwater flyfishermen. I am surprised I did not read it sooner but found a new edition at Barnes and Noble.. Most of what he says then, in the 30's and 40's, still hold true today. His descriptions of equipement, casting style and retreive rates for the various fish he describes are priceless. He describes fishing for striped bass in Oregon, Tarpon in the everglades, Bonefish off the Florida coast. Deep water flyfishing. Where to fish, how to fish and what time of day for these species,off bridges, next to road canals, including, lady fish, red drum, Baracuda, Spotted sea trout, sea trout, etc. He describes the beginnings of saltwater flytying, using White Bucktail, white and red bucktail, yellow bucktail,etc, with instructions on how to tye these classics . Photo's are great and you will appreciate his failures as much as his successess... there is alot of knowledge here ,not your ordinary " how to " book, rather a how to "while" he fishes...Great action and descriptions... Read it... you will be sorry you did not..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2001, 06:50 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I am a big Joe Brooks fan. He would have been a great guy to have posting on the Forum ;-)

One of the most memorable tips of his:

The panicked muddler retrieve: used to simulate a sculpin retreating across the tailout of a pool, using the swing of the hard current and the stripping hand to create a darting hard swing.

I've had success with this for brookies in New England streams, stripers in tide rips, coho salmon and sea run cutts in western rivers, smallmouth bass in the feeder rivers of New Hampshire ponds.

Joe Brooks describes this to be used for trophy trout during the wee hours. I gotta get to Labrador!

Thanks for the referral, I am definitely going to buy the book.
Old 10-02-2001, 08:25 PM

Joe Brooks certainly ranks as my all time favorite FF-ing author. 'Salt Water Fly Fishing' was originally written in 1950, I believe. I have his next book 'Fly Fishing' which contained chapters on SWFFing. My copy was from the 4th printing in 1966. Its cost - $4.95 ...

I also have 'Trout' which was printed in 1972 and cost $8.95 ... These books are now priceless and occupy a special spot on my bookcase.

I will certainly look for this new printing of SWFFing ... It will be a pleasure to snuggle up before a warm fire this winter and remenisce of days gone by ... Before I know it the calender will say - MAY!
Old 10-02-2001, 10:32 PM
President of CAC

Mike, I may be nuts but if I part with $75 I can pick up a first edition of the book... I am going to do it and will look for those you mentioned.
Old 10-02-2001, 10:37 PM

Well worth it if in good condition. Hard to put a price on wisdom.

Mike - sounds like you have quite the bookshelf. I don't get much space in the house for fishin' stuff (wife rules with an iron fist in the home decor department) but I do have a bookshelf and am proud of the books I have too. I found some old hardbound American Sportmen issues with original writings from some real dyed in the wool hardcores including Roderick Haig Brown himself, fishing Iceland or wherever the A/S budget would take him. Such is the life!

Striblue - your collection of paraphenalia goes beyond mere envy for me!
Old 10-03-2001, 06:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
On a more fun and less technical read I've been working on " The Moon Pulled Up an Acre of Bass" By Peter Kaminsky. A month of fishing the migration at Montauk Point.
It's one of the least pretentious books. So many guys write thinking they need to impress with with excessive vocabulary and high brow name dropping. Kaminsky talks like the guy you just crossed paths with on the flats. Another writer in the vein of Nick Lyons and John Gierach. Check it out, It'll help get us all through the dark cold winter.
Old 10-03-2001, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Chris (10-03-2001 07:06 a.m.):
On a more fun and less technical read I've been working on " The Moon Pulled Up an Acre of Bass" By Peter Kaminsky. A month of fishing the migration at Montauk Point.
It's one of the least pretentious books. So many guys write thinking they need to impress with with excessive vocabulary and high brow name dropping. Kaminsky talks like the guy you just crossed paths with on the flats. Another writer in the vein of Nick Lyons and John Gierach. Check it out, It'll help get us all through the dark cold winter.
Hey Juro on your way through to Labrador, Stop in here and I'll tag team those big brookies with you. ay. Sounds like you need a den to get your collection off the ground.
Old 10-03-2001, 06:14 AM

Quote:
striblue (10-02-2001 11:32 p.m.):
Mike, I may be nuts but if I part with $75 I can pick up a first edition of the book... I am going to do it and will look for those you mentioned.
I'm a littercher-My wife's emphasis on litter-junkie and if you can put yer hands on a 1st edition of anyone you hold in high esteem any price you can justify to yourself is a bargain. Just an opinion from a guy who scrounges for every treasure on his shelf.
Chris
Old 10-03-2001, 10:01 AM

I've heard rumor that an old book described striped bass fly fishing in Massachusetts in 1849. It was called "Fish and Fishing" by Frank Forester... anyone heard of it?
Old 10-03-2001, 11:06 AM
Middle Aged Member

An uncle down in Dennis gave an old copy he picked up at a yard sale last summer. Aside from smelling like it spent 30 years packed away in a cellar, its in great shape. Been meaning to read it, guess its time.

Fred A.
Old 10-03-2001, 11:21 AM

Oh, I did mention that 'my' bookcase was in the basement ... didn't I?

John, $75 seems to be a very good price for this Joe Brooks book. I was looking to get some old Russell Chatham books and when I found them they were asking over $100. I didn't want them that bad.

My first 'real' SWFFing book was by George X. Sands. I forget the name of it. It came out about 1970. It had an excellent chapter by Myron Gregory about using lead core shooting heads.

Charles Brooks has several excellent books about trout fishing. I'd say thayt my favorite trout FFing author was/is Ernest Schweibert.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.