Stripers and Snow - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2001, 11:21 AM

Stripers and Snow

Being my B-day I got clearance from the commander to conduct a striper sortie this am. I headed up to see if there were fish still around Hampton N.H. (thats right, the stripers are headeed south, I go north-go figure). First time I ever fished up there. Pulled over by the sea wall just north of Boars Head. Sitting there in the dark the wind picks up and a snow squal starts up. It's about 38 degrees out. I'm thinking, "this ought to be a fun day". Oh well, I take what I can get lately. Nothing there so I headed south for some truck fishing. As I approach the Hampton River bridge, there they are, birds birds birds!
There was a major blitz going on. As I worked my way down the south Jetty side the blitz came to shore at the point. And as fast I walked they moved out. Drat. I had to sit and watch them 200 yards off shore for close to an hour. They split into 3 packs at times over an acre each. Then they moved into the river and stayed in the middle. Still waiting I glance over my shoulder towards the beach and yeehaa! a small group had broken off and hit the beach. I scrambled over and first one landed was a 27". They were smashing all around me as I hurried to get the smaller ones off to get larger fish. In the end a seal showed up and squelched it. I was able to land 6, a banner day by my meager standards. In the snow too. Fish on till your guides freeze!

Lefty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2001, 12:14 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hey Happy Birthday,

Stripers and snow what a combo. I'm sure it was great to get into a blitz even if it wasn't the big group. Sorry to hear about the seal putting the damper on fishing.

The seal population seems to be getting very large around Monomoy/Chatham. I know the salmon fisherman out west wouldn't mind to see a few more killer whales thinning the herd down. I'm afraid that's what's needed around Monomoy/Chatham as well. I spent the day going to spot after spot most all were being worked by packs of seals. Big boils near the boat all ended up being seals not fish. I fished with hundreds of seals and seemingly very few fish yesterday, the seals were most everwhere. Perhaps the water was so warm in comparision to the cold air, they decided to stay in the water VS lay on the beach.

Hopefully with packs of fish coming down from Maine and NH, the commander will give you clearance again so it won't be the last fishing of the year for you.

Besides we all know birthday's don't count in the 1.5 fishing outings a week quota.

Glad to hear you found and got into a pack of fish.

Greg.
Old 10-08-2001, 12:15 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

AWESOME! Happy Birthday Terry, what a way to celebrate.

BTW -

Nice water up there, eh? I love how clean it stays around that area, even through the summer months. Much overlooked area for sight fishing on the inside shoals on the flood. Let's do some high sun sight fishing sortie's next year, but for now it's time to see about a commuter trip...
Old 10-08-2001, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the report Lefty, I was undecided about tonight with the cold and the wind, but you just made up my mind. I'll be leaving work early today and fishing the hampton to rye stretch till dark. Hopefully I'll find some of those breaking fish you ran into.

-Matt
Old 10-08-2001, 12:52 PM

Wouldn't be a bad idea to look at Salisbury, PI beachfront, Ipswich, Wingaersheek, I'll even bet they cut through Annisquam on a flood tide and fatten up on all the bait in there over the next several days before making their Manchester appearance. With Wingaersheek wide open that's bound to be a great experience... I sure enjoyed that hard white sand and hard fighting stripers list visit I made. Just watch that tide if you venture out on the big bar reaching from the beach to Annis. Light.
Old 10-08-2001, 01:23 PM

Forgot to mention, after the blitz died I cruised down to PI by the lighthouse. Big wind, nada happening. Check the beachfront from Atty Maes, nada. Cruised all the way down to Sandy Point and fished a bit, nada. There were a few birds working the standing waves in fron of Emersons rocks. Out of range. Looked over to Cranes, didn't see any birds, Pavillion-quiet. I think the fact that I hit the outgoing of an estuary at dawn was the key. Grego is continuing the search on Cape Ann. I look forward to his report. Information is king right now. IT took me many outings to find fish.

Lefty
Old 10-08-2001, 01:31 PM

Keywords: "over the next several days", as in southward movement?
Old 10-08-2001, 03:55 PM
President of CAC

Terry... that's a great day. By the way the Cane rod looks great at CAC... I wanted to thank you again for the contribution and you are always welcome down there even if you are an North Shore diehard.
Old 10-08-2001, 06:10 PM
Recent Member

PI beachfront was dead except for seals this evening. Enjoyed meeting GregO though.

-JohnR
Old 10-09-2001, 09:12 AM

I truck fished Mon. Afternoon/Evening. I Started at M-Head & finished up by meeting up wirh JohnR at the South Jetty at PI. The most promising thing was an offshore blitz at Devereux that never came closer then 150 yards. However, there were several Locals sitting & just waiting in their cars. Hindsight being 20:20 I should have Hung around there. Manchester was dead for the third straight time (unlike last fall). I also went up to Glouchester Huels (sp?) & looked across the Bay towards East Jetty & nothing seemed to be doing. I was going to head up towards Windasheek/Anasquam (sp?), but I missed the turn off 133, so I decided to keep going. Hiked out the the Jetty & met up with JohnR, but the beachfron was Sterile! Well, maybe one more shot as it warms this week? Then Rhodey!
Old 10-09-2001, 10:34 AM

Tough call this time of year. I had to make the decision on whether to cross to the north jetty at Hampton R. after seeing the pack of fish favored it. But I stayed and it was the right choice. What's up with Magnolia this year? I still think there will be one more run. Like Mayor said, he fished till Nov. last year.
That will be me. Hey Grego, don't you dare think of putting those rods and reels up for the winter yet.

Lefty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.