Eyes on flies - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2001, 04:53 AM

Eyes on flies

Saw a segment on a fishing show which*said that stripers key on the eyes of bait fish and attack the head of the bait. Got me to thinking. I seldom put eyes on my flies and wonder if it makes that much of a difference. I can think of two classic flies without eyes. Ray Fly and Lefty Deciever. Most of you who caught keepers did the fly you use have eyes on them?
FishHawk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2001, 06:28 AM

Yes and no.

I caught the majority of my keepers on real/deep eels some of which did not have the fancy clouser style eyes. Fishig the currents/ rips that I like to fish, I find it hard to believe that the fish actualy have that much time to inspect a fly.

I've read several articles about super selective trout that when their stomach's were pumped showed a cigarette butt as part of the contents....

I've always wondered about this, good question. In the end, I believe it doesn't hurt to add them.
Old 10-11-2001, 07:30 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

IMHO -

The bait has eyes and they are a prominent feature, so my flies will have eyes too. Do I think it's critical? Hell no. You will catch fish on flies that suggest the right morsel with or without eyes.

But if you are trying to appeal to very selective, huge flats blondies under a bright sun in two feet of water, would you rather fish a fly with or without eyes? Like I said, my flies have eyes too ;-)

As far as the cigarette butts, most likely those are hatchery trout thinking butts are the pellet feed they are raised on. Didn't I once overhear someone spinning tan deerhair over white to make a little butt fly?
Old 10-11-2001, 08:03 AM
Fly chucker

I tie eyes on my flies for saltwater, even the Deceiver where they are painted on the head as a last step. In very clear water with a lot of bait around, I believe that a pattern with oversized eyes will stand out a bit more from the naturals, and that's exactly what needs to be accomplished. If anything, it doesn't hurt, and gives me more confidence in the pattern. And that always helps.

So yes, almost all of the keeper stripers that I've caught have been on flies with eyes, but that may simply be because that's the type I usually use. Sorry for the circular reasoning.

Mark
Old 10-11-2001, 08:38 AM

Most of my keeper fish have been on flys with eyes. However.... I have had a number of experiences, on the big rip for example, where the fly I was using had been hit so many times that the eyes were torn off. I continue to fish with these flys and I really haven't noticed a decline in their fish catching ability even for the "keeper" sized ones.

Gregg
Old 10-11-2001, 10:10 AM
President of CAC

Whether eyes work or not... I tie eyes on eveything . Especially the deep eel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.