Chatham, Monomoy and seals 10/7 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2001, 12:44 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Chatham, Monomoy and seals 10/7

With the West/NW winds and intimadating marine forecasts, I choose to pass up my trip down to Watch Hill/Napatree for some leeward fishing the outer cape and Monomoy. First time launching out of Stage Harbor was a pleasant experience till the pickup. When some discourteous boater pulled his boat out on the ramp and decides that's the place to unload and strap everything down while blocking access on the ramp to others. I and others could have pulled our boats if this guy would have pulled forward another 60feet. But I should have known being corteous was a not in his character, since he was the same guy we saw blasting past us through the no wake zones.
Wind was blowing pretty good and made for rough choppy water on the west side of the islands. Getting out of the harbor is pretty tricky at low tide due to the constantly shifting bars and meandering turns required to avoid them all. I hooked up with a fellow fly fisherman who had spent the entire summer fishing just this locale so I asked to tag along and learn some of the spots he frequented. Too bad I hooked up with him on what he described as the worst day of the year. We didn't get a even a bite at the spots from Chatham Harbor to the south tip of Monomoy.
Too bad I wasn't fishin for seals, I could have caught some of those pretty easy it seems. We had them around us at most every stop in packs.
Water was clean on the outgoing low, But at high tide massive weed balls came in with the tide over the flats from the west. The leeward sides where pretty free of weeds and Brandon and I each caught our smallest schoolies so far this year 15-16 inches long. I was told the were tons of albies out there last weekend, looks like the all went to Napatree from the sound of Peter's Napatree 10/7 report.
I'd also like to Thank the Chatham Harbor master for not giving me a ticket while Brandon fly fished without a life vest off my boat. He was a very nice guy. I'm going to have to find a good kids life vest of PFD. I guess I'll have to look for two, Anyone have any suggestions besides Cabella's or Overton's?

Thanks, Greg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2001, 12:54 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Better take good care of our future president! I'll let you know if I see a good setup for him, but since I sold my boat I am not the best advisor for that and will defer to others.
Old 10-08-2001, 01:30 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

I'm trying to keep him and the state happy, he hates wearing that life vest. I had him put it on when we were in the harbor or blasting from spot to spot. It's very uncomforatble to flyfish with the standard horse collar life vests, he outgrew the (CS unapproved) ski style vest. I also found very few kids coast gaurd approved life vests/pfd's so far, I'll be looking some more. A friend that's a master marine mechanic has the same problem, only I can't afford his solution (get a 30ft scarab center console). Apparently boats 28ft and over kids don't have to wear them.

Greg.
Old 10-08-2001, 01:54 PM

Greg,

I have few that might fit him that you can have. 1 season old as my kids continue to sprout. What's his size? I'll bring whatever's appropriate to Rhody.

Roop
Old 10-08-2001, 03:56 PM

Greg,
I was at Chatham yesterday as well. Started out at the lighthouse at about 7am and worked my way down the outside and over to the RipRyder dropoff spot at South Beach and then after a little nap on the beach, returned the same route. Not so much as a bump, I did have one striper, about 30", lazilly cruise along the shore till about 5ft from me and slowly move out as I put 2 casts just in front of him. Nothing. By the time I got back to the lighthouse several surfcasters were hooked up to blues and a small center console was bangin them one after another. Now, its about 2:30pm, I get back to my truck and a cop is parked right behind me. As I walk up he gets out of his car and I ask if he's waiting for me. He says " No, your going to move your truck right away, aren't you ?" " Yes sir", I say as he hands a ticket to the person standing next to me. WOW, I was out there all day, I thought the restrictions on parking were over for the season, I guess not. Well, I didn't catch a fish and didn't get a ticket so I guess getting to take a nap in a place like this was worth the long walk.
Old 10-09-2001, 11:20 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Roop - Thanks for the generous offer, it is certainly appreciated. Brandon
is around 45Lbs and 4ft tall, Josh is 30Lbs and 3 ft tall. Whatever you might
have is welcome. I did find a bunch of things in Overton's catalog. It
looks like I'm definateley a shore bound day tripper though. I hit
a rock with the outboard and removed a third of the twisted fin on the
lower unit. Not to mention forming a totally new prop pitch today at Napatree. It sure didn't take much away from the awesome day though. Hopefully conditions will hold till you get there. I expect to be down Sunday, should be able too hook up with you then.

CASE - I figured you might be down scratching the Monomoy/Chatham itch. It certainly is a great place to fish. I was going to shoot you an E-mail and see if you were going, We probably passed right by on south beach. We were chasing a guy in a 16ft center console along the beach. I did see some fly fisherman working a bar in Chatham inlet, walking down South Beach and probably 8 boats or so.
Too bad the 30incher wasn't biting, there seem to be alot of that class or bette fish there. After reading the reports at nauset angler I'm tempted to take some shots at night angling on the outer cape for stripers this fall too.
Glad to hear you to were spared a ticket as well, I'm surprised to hear that they are enforcing the parking as much as in the summer. I did the same thing off season and never expected to get ticketed either.

Greg.
Old 10-10-2001, 09:41 AM

GregD, Ya night time seems like thr right time. I see Striblue is gonna head out Friday nite, I Might try to hook up with him. I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-10-2001, 01:04 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

CASE- I would enjoy heading out with you guys for a late night adventure. I'm sure interested in hooking up with one of those big stripers on a fly rod.
I'll be on the lookout for the mail, hope there's enough moonlight to see something.
I haven't night fished in years, Guess I better get my gas lantern stuff together anyway. Great way too form your own bait circle. The flashes with bait popping would usually start sometime there after. I used to do that or use someone elses dock lights etc.. in Florida fishing for snook.

Greg.
Old 10-11-2001, 07:11 AM
Recent Member

ChathamLight

Bluefish and some bass hitting last Sunday at the foot of the light-hole appears to the right of the light below small point. Don't know who you are-I work for the Nauset Angler in Orleans and guide from shore& can be reached on E-mail @ seafoxent@aol.com. Also registered on this site.
Old 10-11-2001, 09:18 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Seafox- Thanks for the info. Maybe will see you out there.

Greg.
Old 10-11-2001, 09:42 AM

GregD, Striblue,
Keep an eye on this thread tomorrow around noon. We can make arrangments then. I plan to bring my gear to work and head right to Chatham at quittin time, which would put me at the lighthouse about 5pm. I haven't checked the weather yet, but I will soon. Keep in touch.
Seafox, thanks for the info, maybe we will run into you there ?
Old 10-11-2001, 09:55 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

CASE- I'll start making preparations, Don't think I can get there quite as early as you. Will see what I can do.

Greg.
Old 10-11-2001, 10:08 AM
President of CAC

OK...but I may not be there that early. I have a high School football game to attend and will probably be in Chatham at around 9pm Friday.. at CAC... then I was planning on meeting Brendan O'Brien at the Squire for Dinner... I will be at the light at 4:30 on Saturday morning... then if the weather holds ...out on O'Briens boat later.. Bob Pink may be at CAC late Friday night as he is planning on an early Friday eve. Nauset shore trip. If Dinner is out I will be at the light in the eve or Nauset... most likely the light... that's it for now.. but I will keep posted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.