boat for the RhodyFest? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2001, 01:07 PM

boat for the RhodyFest?

Any thoughts on the need/desire for boating oportunities. I guess I'm asking whether I should bring the boat or not.

Gregg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2001, 01:50 PM

Gregg,

I was thinking the same thing.

But, it would change the Nature of the Rhody Clave. Who will make the Napatree death march? Who will fish the Breahways & Estuaries at Charlestown & the other two (that I can niether pronounce nor spell!)?
Old 10-01-2001, 02:25 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The area from Napatree and Stonington CT to the south and southwest are outrageous fishing areas, the reefs, Fisher's, etc. Westerly would be far more productive with than without and a missed opportunity if only fished from shore IMHO.

As far as the breachways and the open surf to the east - Weekapaug, Charlestown, etc... not worth the risk IMHO.
Old 10-01-2001, 02:26 PM

I think there may be a fair number of boats this year. Remember last year there was a boating portion to the weekend but we still made the march to Napatree point. I also remember that when we got to the point those who were in boats were doing quite well just 3 casts away. Boat, kayak, oversand sticker, etc... I'll still plan on making the trek out to the point on foot, seems like part of the tradition. Another memory is the guy who was leaving as we were arriving, from what I heard he had a very good morning from shore out on the point. I would like to be 'out there' pre dawn this year. Having boat crews would be great even if everyone doesn't get to go, it certainly increases the odds of striper marinara. I have no problem being shore bound.
Old 10-01-2001, 02:28 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Jim -

Are you talking about that 30#'er being dragged out in 1998 -or- another such occurrence in 2000?
Old 10-01-2001, 02:57 PM

I think it was '99' and I did not see it myself but heard the rumblings. Later that morning I was talking to an older/wiser type on the beach who said he'd done quite well at dawn. He was fishing a black deciever in the suds. I just figure it's like some many other places where dawn and dusk rule. IMHO you can't beat watching the stars fade to sunrise. You can always take a siesta mid-day.

2000 was shad & shoolieville, at least for me. For Capt. Ray it was Bonitoville.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.