A simple Weekapaug question - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2001, 08:21 AM
Fly chucker

A simple Weekapaug question

I'm looking for some local advice for the Weekapaug area. When I look into the interactive tide charts, I see pull down tabs for Watch Hill and Point Judith, but not for any points in between. In order to determine the tides for Weekapaug, what adjustments should I make? For example, would I add about 20 minutes to the Watch Hill tides or subtract 30 minutes from the Point Judith tides, etc.? I realize that the possibilities are numerous, and that the beach would be different from the breachway, but any reasonable target would be greatly appreciated for this area. It will make planning for this weekend much easier.

Thank You!

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2001, 02:52 PM

I'm working on getting something comprehensive on the tides down there. If anyone has a clue on the tides down there let us know. I talked to someone at Weekapaug bait and tackle they said add 51 minutes to the Narragansett tide and add another 20 minutes for Napatree. I'm guessing these tides are for the beach. The breachways must have a different tide and I've got to think the dumping tides would be the ones to target. www.weekapaug.com
Old 10-03-2001, 03:00 PM
Fly chucker

Thanks, Jim. That's a start in the right direction. I think that a more comprehensive guide for the tides in that area is something that many people, including myself, would find to be very valuable. I plan on fishing the beach on the incoming, and the breachway on the outgoing (crowds permitting }>).

Thanks again! ;D

Mark
Old 10-03-2001, 08:22 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Look at the BLITZ GOING ON NOW!!!

http://www.rhodetrip.com/
Old 10-03-2001, 08:23 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Anyway, this webcam will allow you to gauge tide from somewhere in between the two points so I checked it out and BLITZ!!!

To answer your question, I'd just split the difference provided both endpoints are in open water. Show up an hour early and you might stay an hour longer if you are targeting a certain phase.

Old 10-04-2001, 09:32 PM
_

Mark,
I was at Weekapaug today (10/4) and the water in the breachway changed from incoming to outgoing at 11:30 a.m. The tide table I use in The Fisherman says high tide was at 10:08 at Watch Hill point and 9:17 at Point Judith Harbor. I'm not sure what time the tide changed outside the breachway, but you said you are more concerned with the flow in and out of the breachway. I think the time lag between change of tide outside the breachways and the change of flow in the breachways has a lot to do with the moon phase and the geography of the pond and breachway. The tide outside can start to drop before the pond finishes filling up, so even though the tide is dropping on the beach the water is still flowing into the breachway. The reverse is also true. The water can still be flowing out of the breachway even if the tide is rising. Sorry I can't be more specific -- if ArtB hasn't figured out how to calculate the times for the tide changes in the breachways I won't even try to think that I can figure it out! Not such a simple question after all, huh?
Q

(edit) Doh! I guess it was Jim who said the breachway flow was probably your concern.
Old 10-04-2001, 10:02 PM
Recent Member

Just to add absolutely nothing to the specific discussion at hand, there's a place in Nauset on the Cape where the tide difference is a 2 1/2 difference with the inlet. And you can paddle out to the inlet in 15 minutes, it's just that water travels a longer way than you paddle.

Like Quentin said, the tide starts rising before the water reverses course. A lot depends on the moon phase, because that determines how much water has to move. Never quite understood what determines when the water moves. That is, why the current moves faster during a specific phase of the tide.

Leading to the following conclusions: incoming and outgoing are different from rising and falling (ebbing and flooding). Current can be caused by tide, but is not the same thing as tide.

Now, what was the original question?
Old 10-05-2001, 08:09 AM
Fly chucker

Q and Steve- Thanks, I think. ;-) But seriously, I understand what you're saying. I encountered the same problems up in Maine with several of its river systems. It's the same deal up there, but on a larger scale so it's somewhat more predictable. I was just hoping that some local knowledge would be available, and your advice is as good as it probably can be.

Juro- Stop teasing me with those blitz pictures! It's Friday morning, and I'm supposed to concentrate on my work after seeing that? I know where my mind will be today. Good thing I'm not doing any complex lab work this afternoon.....:-)

Mark
Old 10-05-2001, 08:50 PM

Sorry to cause such confussion,but the tide outside, and the tide inside is a different animal. wind, moon, currents, etc cause a great differetial in time. I have sat at Weekapaug, the charts say 10AM fish and find the tide was an hour later. Next time I go there it might be 45 minutes. A ball park figure is 53 minutes, so I say that an look it up For Saturday Oct.6 Newport High at 9:55AM add 53 Min. 10:48AM Watch Hill Point 10:41AM, so Weekapaug is between Neport, and Watch Hill why is it later than Watch Hill ? That is why I say it is very difficult to ge it close. If you don't have it, here is the US government tides of RI. http://205.156.54.206/er/box/ritides.html I tried to make it as clear as mud. When I go clamming I look at the Newport tides, and then add 3 hours.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.