10/7 Napatree Point - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2001, 09:50 PM
Recent Member

10/7 Napatree Point

Realizing you guys have Rhodyfest next weekend I wanted you to hear about my morning. My father in-law and I ran from Pawcatuck CT west to New London. Poking into the long narrow river mouths to escape the wind. In the past we have found albies in these locations under similar conditions. Fruitless we discided to "check" Napatree. When we arrived you could see pods of birds from Fishers Island NY to Watch Hill RI. In places the birds were low to the water and tightly packed. Under the birds a mix of albies and blues feasting on baby bunker. The albies were numerous and competeive amongst themselves. Despite a lot of short strikes, I dropped one and landed two. Then buried treble hook in my shin...game over! Not since Harkers have I seen the number of albies I saw today feeding so aggressively an awesome sight. I expect we could have stayed with them for some time.

Enjoy the Ocean State and leave only foot prints.

Best,

Peter Jenkins
The Saltwater Edge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2001, 12:10 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Peter -

Can't thank you enough for the timely information. I get down there late Friday night but if I can manage an early leave from work by working late Thurs I'll stop by the Saltwater Edge before heading west.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing you at the shop again.

regards,
Juro
Old 10-08-2001, 01:49 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Thanks for the posting on the conditions there. I'm curious what the boating conditions were like there, it was a rather intimidating marine forecast. I certainly would have been there today if I knew for sure what I would be in for. Since I've never been there a strong 20-25mph west wind looked like it couldn't whip things up too bad, I don't know never been there. I have seen shallow stretches of water develop 4-6 foot waves in 45 min time. So I went to the outer beaches of CapeCod and fished the leeward coastline. I found my self wanting to turn right on 95 anyway when I got there, But boating trips that turn into shore trips can be problematic when you don't know the area at all.

Peter, Art, Ray or anyone else, could you comment on the boating conditions at all off Napatree, Watch Hill area.. Many boats out there? wave heights estimates?
Trying to get a feel for what a nw/west wind is like there. How much can it blow before it''s too rough for you?

Sure hope the fish levels are still holding by next weekend, this cold snap could be a bad thing. Send those albies south before we get there, although the water temps would hold up better if we don't have too many 30-40 degree nights and/or cloudy days.

Thanks,
Greg.
Old 10-08-2001, 06:07 AM
Recent Member

I'd defer to Capt. Ray on the boating front. I can help with logisitics. There are ramps at Bird Island and a new one on the river across from McQuade's Market in Westerly. In both cases you will pass through Little Narragansett Bay before getting to Napatree. Both are short runs BTW. LIttle Narragnsett Bay provides shelter on bad days. As does the opposite side of Fishers Island NY.
Wind against the tide on top of a swell can make it very sloppy. My father in-laws 20ft Maritime was fishably stable. Yesterday is was water haul and back to the fish without a lot af backcasting.
Old 10-08-2001, 10:12 AM
Recent Member

Oh yeah. The water was murky; but not weedy. The fly was a chartruese over white flat wing. Cast to the boil or if uptide lead the first bird. Then retreive sloooow. Jenks
Old 10-08-2001, 12:23 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the follow up info about conditions and the boat ramp info. I certainly
appreciate it, can't wait to see the place in person. If your father in Laws Maritime skiff was out yesterday, I see no reason why I couldn't be out there as well.

Parking can be a problem at some of the ramps I've been to. I wonder if there is much parking at the new one the river across from McQuade's Market in Westerly? It is great to hear that the Bird Island or the new one are close. I was contemplating Point Judith, to hit the brezze ways on the way to Napatree/watch hill or just put in at Stonington.

Putting in at Stonington seemed more direct to Napatree/Watch Hill. Perhaps I should re-think that to Bird Island or the new ramp, or is it about the same? On the new charts I picked up it looks like you have to go accross little narraganset out near sandy point or Stonington anyway. It Seems 95 to exit 92 (RT49) then down to Stonington appears fastest and most direct. No idea on parking, while typically not a problem this time of year. It is good to know about what your options are during prime time season.

During the season does stonington fill up? Do they have overflow parking available? I have seen Point judith's boat ramp filled up if you get there late although there is some overflow parking too. So I don't feel I'd be turned away after the long drive. Curious about parking capacity at the other ramps and any history of filling up after 9am for instance (Stonington, Bird Island, the new ramp).

Thanks,
Greg.
Old 10-08-2001, 01:20 PM

Greg -

ALthough limited my experiences make me wonder if you shouldn't put in at Pt.Judith to fish that area, and Stonington/Watch Hill/Napatree to fish that area - verses trying to connect those dots. It's a long open ocean run between the two, where each offers a sheltered approach within it's own and plenty of opportunities too.

I like the Napatree area personally due to the large sheltered areas and proximity to a variety of hotspots including the end of Napatree, various shoals, the reef, Fisher's, etc. Not as much of a nav hazard as far as I could tell too.

I will defer to those with more experience, but that's the take I gottten over the years.
Old 10-08-2001, 02:02 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Juro -

Yea that was basically the conclusion I'm coming too, Just trying to get more info for next year as well. After hearing that report on Napatree and what it's like with a west wind, I won't bail out as easily next time. Also curious about the new ramp parking and Bird Island ramp parking situations. The ramp I was at yesterday I doubt you could even use during the season due to the very limited parking unless you arrive in the middle of the night during the week etc.....
It would be great to know that kind of stuff before you plan so you know what to plan for. While I haven't been turned away too many times for lack of parking it has happened. Then trying to find a place to park the truck and boat to shore fish was not easy either.

Thanks, Greg.
Old 10-08-2001, 02:08 PM

Out of my league, hope the Rhody locals fill you in...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.