What's everyone doing this weekend? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2001, 07:25 PM

What's everyone doing this weekend?

Anyone wetting a fly this weekend? Anything going on down in Rhody anyone?

May just wander out early tomorrow morning and head were ever my car takes me.

DaveP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2001, 08:02 PM

I was thinking of giving it a shot this evening but I stuck my nose outside and decided to stay in here where it's warm. Maybe I'll get out in the morning but it could be casting practice.
Old 11-09-2001, 10:18 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
According to my weather pal at Westover, there is another windy cold front due on Saturday...things will start to quiet on Sunday and Monday looks like a keeper...I may try to wet a line at Napatree...and if all else fails, I'll drop some stuff off at AreaSixtyOne.
Old 11-10-2001, 04:34 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

As strange as it sounds, I actually gave up a kickass fishing opportunity because I have family and web work obligations that are too important to ignore. It was tough to let go of, but after how good 2001 was one has to pay the piper sooner or later.

Besides, a few brownie points now might == a long weekend in North Carolina. Mr.Morrison, now look what you've done! I can't get those 15-20# albie thoughts out of my mind.

Good luck Dave, and one question... where the heck were you in June? }>
Old 11-10-2001, 05:55 AM

Juro - good question! In June, I was up to my eyeballs in baseball games and practice. I know what your saying - we'll see what next June brings.

TL,

DaveP
Old 11-10-2001, 10:42 AM
President of CAC

Believe it or not I have to drive to Chatham tonite to close my place tomorrow.. I will be on my own at CAC... I intend on wetting a line at Minister's Point after getting some e-mails from the local guys.. I will also try early Sunday morning with John Molhander. I have to be in Chatham anyway.
Old 11-10-2001, 08:50 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Brandon and I are hoping to get out monday since he doesn't have school. I'll be raking the leaf piles all over the yard. Perhaps will hit Napatree too, although this time of year the nuclear plant warm water outlet in (CT) should be fish infested about now. Tempted to don my lead under garments and go take a look. If only I knew where it is and what boat ramp is closest? I remember some good fish reports from there this time last year. Have to dig through the old posts and find out, unless some of you know what I'm talking about.

Greg.
Old 11-10-2001, 09:29 PM

Made it down to CT this morning and Brett and myself hit some spots along the Thames. Did not see anything going on. Few guys fishing under the Rt 95 bridge but they weren't hooking up either.

Took in the Mystic Aqarium - pretty nice place.
TL,

Dave
Old 11-10-2001, 10:08 PM
_

Quote:
GregD (11-10-2001 09:50 p.m.):
. . . this time of year the nuclear plant warm water outlet in (CT) should be fish infested about now. Tempted to don my lead under garments and go take a look. If only I knew where it is and what boat ramp is closest? . . .
Greg.
Greg,
If you're talking about Millstone, it is on the east side of the mouth of the Niantic River. You may not be able to access the outflow because of security concerns. Some boaters have reported being chased out of there by the CG. If you do want to give it a try there is a boat ramp at Pleasure Beach, which is just east of Millstone on the opposite side of Jordan Cove. (Rte 1 to Great Neck Road to Goshen St. to Dock St.) Good luck!
Q
Old 11-11-2001, 10:16 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Q- Thanks for the info on the outlet pipe. Sorry to hear the CG is chasing people away. I think it's alittle silly that chasin away fisherman especially after stopping and talking to them and looking over their boat. But I'm glad to see they are vigilant about protecting the nuclear plants. I may skip that and try Napatree or the Thames then.
Never been to the Thames wonder where the boat ramps are there?

Thanks,
Greg.
Old 11-11-2001, 12:27 PM
_

Greg, my CT Coastal Access Guide shows a couple of boat launches on the Thames. One is in New London just south of the Rte 95 bridge on the west side of the river (Thames River State Boat Launch, State Pier Road). The other is just outside the mouth of the river on the east side of Avery Point (Bayberry Lane State Boat Launch). I haven't been to either of these places so I can't help with details like parking or ramp conditions. The access guide is available FREE http://dep.state.ct.us/whatshap/press/1999/dg0527.htm
Q
Old 11-11-2001, 02:16 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Q- Thanks again, looks like good access there from your descriptions, I'm sure I won't have any parking problems as I doubt there are that many other fisherman out. Those guides are really handy, Thank you for the info and URL.

Greg.
Old 11-11-2001, 08:06 PM

Quentin is right on with the boat ramp in New London - actually sit's right under 95. If you are going south on 95 from Groton, just take the New London exit and just keep bearing right. Follow the signs to the State Pier - but you have to go just past the turn into the State Pier. Looks like a decent boat launch - there were a few cars parked there on Saturday. Nice big parking lot and a nice floating dock there also.

Brett and myself actually fished right in that area. There are also a couple signs on Route 12 on the east side of the river that have boat launch sigsn - didn't check them out though.

DaveP
Old 11-11-2001, 11:29 PM
Secret:Time on the water

A quick note to all considering Millstone, don't bother with recent events the security has been tightened to a point where you won't be allowed any closer than 1000 ft. to the outflow. I have a guide friend who was fishing with a client there a week or twoo ago and was warned twice to vacate before they sent armed guards out in boats threatening to arrest him if he did not comply, so visions of Dcember Albies like last year went up in the smoke of Sept. 11 and rightly so. On another note for you folks there is a state ramp right at Niantic with docks and it is about a 5 min. ride to the outflow from there. There also is a ramp at Pleasure Beach as previously stated but it is an unimproved ramp i.e. no docks, if you have help with you it is a fine ramp to launch from but if you are solo it would be a mistake to launch anything made of fibreglass as you don't have anywhere to tie up while parking the tow vehicle. It is about a 1 min. ride from that ramp across Jordan Cove to the plant, all of this is just info fodder as the plant like I said is pretty much off limits for the forseeable (sp) future.

Tightlines,
Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.