A Way into Sunset Falls?? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2001, 02:17 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
A Way into Sunset Falls??

The Stilly has been putting out some fish but with the low water and the masses of people that have congretated on the lower North Fork, I have decided to pursue a long time goal of mine: Get to know the South Fork Sky.

I have yet to hear of them trucking any steelies around Sunset Falls but an inside informat has told me that lower Sout Fork Sky right below the falls (below the 500' closure) can be gangbusters in mid to late July for steelies.

Earlier in the year I drove the Mt. Index road but that turns into private property before the falls. I walked down to the river after I parked at the deadline and found some decent water but I still believe I was a mile to a mile and a half below the falls. I drove around the Hwy 2 stretch but coulndt find any definded way into the falls area.

Does anyone know of a way into the falls? I am wondering if I can follow the train tracks down as there is a trestle right above the falls but the north side of the river is extremelly steeped bank.

Thanks!! And if anyone is intrested in doing some exploring above the falls when the trucking begins, let me know. It is also a fairly easy float from what I have turned from above Skykomish all the way down to Barclay Creek. Just dont do a 'Special' and miss your takeout!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2001, 02:37 AM

Ryan, I have fished it above the falls for the last couple of years, and done pretty well at times, but seems like it is mainly a September thing. I have never floated it, but that sounds like a good idea. I would be game to give it a try, but I am in Germany for another week, when I get back I will be working a weekend shift, which gives me weekdays off to fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2001, 12:07 PM

Hey guys,

I can't remember where, but it seems I heard that the trucking has begun. Regardless, I fished the Southfork upstream from Money Creek last Friday and my buddy hit a nice little fish that unfortunately came unbuttoned after quite a show.

I haven't been into the falls, but there are signs posting the danger along the highway in the Baring area. A row of houses/cabins is there and they must be just downstream. I'd love to find a way in too! But I wouldn't be bashful about fishing upstream from there at this point.

Regards,
Old 07-23-2001, 12:42 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Anyone fish Eagle falls downriver? I used to stop there with my family, often to take a dip with the kids. At dusk the steelies would be rolling at the tailout but you'd have to get to the far shore to get a good angle at them.

There were millions of tiny parr-marked fry in the pools indicating that free-spawning activity occurs above or in the vicinity of Eagle Falls.

I used to see a lot of fish up in the North Fk as well, although I was rarely there at times conducive to catching them. I wouldn't mind spending an evening gurgling a muddler in those slot pools and rapids, camping, then doing it again at first light before heading down to the mainstem Sky for the day.

I remember one camping trip where I bought a bag of the homemade meuslix-style granola at the Index General Store. My kids ate it up, probably the first time they actually liked health food. I grabbed a sixpack of Hefferweissen and a bag of ice and got my grains after the kids were asleep in the tent under the starlit cascade sky.
Old 07-24-2001, 11:14 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Well I just went ahead and trespassed but to my surprise, no one bothered me and I got many waves from people. I just drove slow, kept my music down and waved to every passing car.

I didnt manage to hook anything though. If they have just recently trucked fish I think I might have to give it another couple weeks to wait for another push of fish to hold. Or maybe I just couldn't hook was there.

I did talk to a buddy of mine and he got 3 above the falls. SHHHHHH!!! I know where I am going my days off next week!!

Jetsled-
I am totally up for it. Stay in contact.
Old 07-25-2001, 01:13 AM

Ryan, I will be back in the states Sunday night, ready to go fishing. I don't have to be back to work until Saturday. Will get the fishing stuff out of storage monday morning, so I will be free to fish tuesday, thursday or friday. I don;t know how to get in touch with myself, don't know what my phone number will be, or where I will live for that matter, will be living in my van down by the river till I find a place. My email at work will be adrianb@naswi.navy.mil, but won't see that till I go back to work on Saturday. Let me know how to get in touch with you and I will do that. Do they truck Humpies over the falls? Might be a good place to fish just to get away from them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.