Sandy Neck school outing - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2001, 12:21 PM
Here fishy fishy

Sandy Neck school outing

While the fish didn't rival their brethren being caught out at Chatham, the schoolies were out in force Sunday morning at Sandy Neck. Arrived w/ a sluggo-chucking (& near striper virgin) friend at about 5:45, faint SW breeze and nearly-dead calm seas. As the sky lightened we made our way down to the water & witnessed our 1st blitz right at the water line. Right up until 9 a.m. it was absolute nonstop action. Had about 6 fish that went 28-32", but the majority were 24-28" (either that or I kept catching the same 3-4 fish).

Fish were corralling what looked like silversides (2-4"), and possibly some bunker.

Absolutely gorgeous sunrise too.

Ended up leaving busting fish as we kept getting farther and farther away from the parking lot. Not quite a Monomoy death march back, but long enough. Still, well worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2001, 04:40 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Tod - Great to hear the fish are in the bay, I'll make it a point to hit it at least once more before calling it a season. The bayside flats were incredible this year and it sounds like it ain't over yet!
Old 10-23-2001, 05:36 AM

Tod - where is Sandy Neck? This sounds like just the ticket to wet my son's appetite for some Stripers before the end of the season. Get into some action like this, and I can definitely keep him interested in trying out the fly rod. With no action, he'll give it about 1/2 an hour.

TL,

DaveP
Old 10-23-2001, 10:17 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Dave -

It's in Barnstable on the bayside, it's the "hook". I'd like my chances around the bayside from Barnstable to Brewster and on up to Pamet right now, in fact probably all the way up to Herring Cove. Morning flood, so I wouldn't be too adventurous on the flats.

Southside (Nantucket Sound) should be a no brainer but keep moving to find the pods. You'll have an incoming dawn tide, which would bode well as long as the water isn't dirty and the wind isn't too bad. If so tuck up inside the inlets as they flood.

As you know we'll be around Chatham and would be glad to help your boy catch the striper bug. It would be a blast, actually!

Other locations for a good chance at school fish with your son would be the North Shore, around Magnolia.
Old 10-23-2001, 09:43 PM

Juro - just found out from my wife that my son't team may have to play a game early Saturday morning, figures as I had intended to head down Friday after he gets out of school. If I don't get down until Saturday afternoon, let me know how to get ahold of you. It would be great to hook up with some of you guys - and you can show him how it's done!

TL,

DaveP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.