Fly Fishing Forum banner

No. Shore Sweep 10/27

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Boy the season is late and almost gone. Nevertheless went out with Grego and Al to chase the dream one last time over the weekend. We hit all my favorite spots from Nahant to Gloucester. I figured the fish of Magnolia last week would be to the south...they were. At dawn we got into fish right away off the pebbly beaches south of Salem, and followed the fish south. There were a few lulls where nothing was happening. Then we'd cruise the coast some more and explode out of the vehicle to sprint accross beaches or rocks to cast into or towards birds. Many times they were just out of reach. At one point we stopped for breakfast in Swampscott. Came out and drove about a 1/2 mile to see the blitz starting up again. Sprint down to the beach and bang they are all around me in my legs. Hooked up twice there but inferior hook and knot problems lead to no landing. Didn't matter.
By days end we were to Gloucester with a low tide and nada happening. What a day.
All told about 17 stripers landed a couple macks for the group. 2 of the stripers were legals (barely). Farewell to a great fall up north.

Lefty

#3 ·
Sounds like a great day! You're braver than I for putting so much effort into the north shore this late. Glad it panned out for you.
BTW, the automotive run and gun has served me well for years in the fall in Rhody. RI can't be beat for numbers of public access convenient to duffers like me in the family jalopy. Some really good spots [Fire district overlook, East Wall, Narragansett pier, Scarborough beach etc] don't even require an angler to leave the vehicle to spot for birds. Now that's convenient!

#6 ·
Striblue,
Let me know when, I work in Peabody and may join you. nsvencer@analogic.com

Nick

#8 ·
Not only that, it's a high tide fishery (or actually outgoing). That cycle just finished over the last week. You could evan go in the middle of the day and maybe find a few breaking fish with the outgoing. But forget dawn and evening at the lows. OF course you never know.

Lefty

#10 ·
Fall. There were no leaves and it was chilly. I drove to get a freind out of the Winthrop police station. I liked the look of the gravelly beach with rocky points on both sides right around the corner from the PD. I went back there, got sidetracked at Nahant and it was blowing up with birds and fish, mostly blues.

My dad's former boss lived on Nahant and we would have dinner over there once a year or so. His son would come fish the rocks with my older brother and I on their private beach. I wonder if I can still play that card? }>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.