New Cortland 555 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2001, 12:33 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
New Cortland 555

If anyone has not heard, Cortland is coming out with a new series of line this January.

Its a hollow mono-core and as a floating line its suppose to float like a cork as their are air pockets within the core.

Anyways, they are producing a new striper line. From what I understand after talking with the rep today it is suppose to be an awesome line. Its got a short heavy head on it to turn over large flies followed by I believe a .027 or .031 running line. Its a full sink Intermediate line and I believe it may be a clear line. Its a very soft line with a super low memory. I didnt have a chance to throw the striper line but I threw the standard 555 floating and it casts very very well.

I was hoping to snag one or two to send out to Juro, but he didnt have any samples.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2001, 06:02 AM

Sounds like a great line probably about $60. Ken Abrhams swears by floating line for striper fishing. What do people think of using floating lines for striper fishing? NrthFrk what is that fly on your Icon. Looks very fishy can you share the pattern with us?
FishHawk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2001, 09:37 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thanks Ryan - great to have a consumer working at a flyshop on the board. That used to be me too, back when. You didn't follow the rep out to the car before you ask for samples! Ol' trick.

Fishhawk - IMHO, FWIW and all that there are advantages when fishing certain types of water and flies but I would hesitate to call it "the" line to have for the job. Certainly won't get you too far in some of my favorite rips. I could also live without the surface commotion on a sunny flat. In a twilight estuary fishing gurglers, it would be the ultimate.

"depends"
Old 10-18-2001, 09:52 AM
President of CAC

Fishhawk, I know a lot of people use intermediate lines and they are an advantage in many cases.. But I own no intermediate lines and only use full sink tip, heavy grain lines.. Rio Deep sea or the old Teeny lines. It has never hurt my fishing, in fact I think it helps under the conditions we fish here in the north east. A friend of mine who I fish with occasionally this summer..Jack White.. switched from intermediate to full sink tip and admitted that his strike and hook rate doubled.. You need to keep it down. just my opinion
Old 10-18-2001, 12:08 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Striblue, not to beat the horse but until they make a clear sinking (verses intermediate) line I still need the intermediate line for sight fishing the flats. On the other hand, fishing that intermediate line in our favorite little rips near South Beach would be a terrible waste of good fishing time. On the other hand, I hate fishing poppers on fast sink line... although I love fishing poppers. I love a sinking line as much as anyone but IMHO it all depends on the situation at hand.

When are these manufacturers going to make a fast sinking clear line anyway? I could sure use this sight fishing on deeper flats and faster currents.
Old 10-18-2001, 01:39 PM
President of CAC

Yes, I agree.. I think the sight fishing can be tough with a sinking line... well.. Maybe I will "NEED" some extra spools for all those reels.. Thanks for the idea.. if my wife finds out I will tell her you made me do it. ;-)
Old 10-18-2001, 02:50 PM
Fly chucker

I've heard that the 555 will also be available as a full floating clear line. Any truth to this rumor?

Mark
Old 10-18-2001, 03:26 PM

Quote >>When are these manufacturers going to make a fast sinking clear line anyway?<<

When they start making clear "lead."
Old 10-19-2001, 02:25 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
FishHawk-
It will retail for about $55.

The fly in my icon is a spade. One of the best summer steelie patterns ever. And why??...because its very buggy.
Old 10-19-2001, 08:26 AM
Recent Member

I think what Abrahms is talking about is two-fold. First, he argues that many large stripers are caught by eelers up near the surface. So why are so many flyfishermen using sinking line? He disagrees with the notion that the heavy sink gets swept less by the current then floating or intermediate.

Second, he seems to be saying --- and this is more my interpretation --- that floating line allows you to better see and adjust the drift of your line and lets you present the fly better.

I definitely have some sympathy with this as I have often found that fishing a rip requires just the right presentation. I watched fish feeding in the current under a bridge last night and every time they came up in almost the same place. They never broke the surface, but fed just under it. I'm going to be experimenting this weekend around here fishing some rips with floating line and a sinking tip.

(BTW: went out last night to fish the big new moon tide and simply blew my timing: hit the last hour of the outgoing, slack tide and the first hour of the incoming. Deadsville. Got back to shore and the tide was ripping Saved the night with a half-dozen small fish under the lights inside the marina. That kind of fishing gets better this time of year as they take the boats out and leave the lights on, opening up more lighted fishing area. ...Waiting now for those fish to finish their business up north and head down here to S. NY.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.