Chatham one (maybe last) more time... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2001, 07:31 PM

Chatham one (maybe last) more time...

Two days of working on the weekend was getting to me so I left Quincy at 9:30 this morning with the thoughts of the ebb at Stage firmly in my mind. Yeh, I'll get down there and start by swinging a big buffyesque herring fly along the edges of the channel. Pick off some nice drag burning fish and then follow them out to the sandbar with a qd and deep eel. What a plan. Arrive with the winds pushing pretty good from the North but the spit gave me just enough lee to cast easily. Hmmm, lot's of weed in the water here. Got to clear it after every cast. Work my way up to the mussel bed and back again without a bump. Ok, change tactics let's go deep and slow. Same results. Finally out to the bar, there's a perfect swing for the d/e to wash up and over the bar but nobody's home. Hike back at about 1:00 and decide to try to bowl at the lighthouse. Wind is brisk but ok, tides really running with the wind but could only dredge up the occasional crab from the edges of the bowl.
Water temps still felt very (relativly speaking) warm and I've got to belive there are a lot more fish waiting to push through but, that said today may have been the last fishing related visit to Chatham for the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2001, 08:14 PM
President of CAC

Bob, don't give up just yet... one more weekend at CAC... next weekend... atleast Saturday..We have got to make it as long as we can. Every weekend on this end makes April and May come sooner.
Old 10-28-2001, 08:52 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Wish I got down there today, by the time I got out of the family gathering it was time to save the brownie points for next weekend. I called Harry over at Nauset Angler and he informed me there were plenty of fish around, but soon there was less fishing time than driving time in the equation so I opted to get some stuff done around the house and target next weekend CAC session ;D

Always tough to have the season nearing it's end... but what a season it was!
Old 10-28-2001, 08:56 PM

Yup,
I'm sure there ARE more fish around and guys like Harry would be the ones to find 'em
CAC Next weekend? Always good to have a goal in mind!
Old 10-29-2001, 10:43 AM

I made it down there Saturday night around 11pm and fished until 2am. The wind was pretty tough but I managed to get out some decent casts. There really wasn't any other option than sinking line the way the wind was howling. No dice. I'll probably give it another shot next Friday night and Sunday morning.
Old 10-29-2001, 01:47 PM
Flats Rat

Hmmm, one last fling at Chatham next week-end?

Sounds very very tempting!
Old 10-29-2001, 08:41 PM

I'll be thinkin of you guys while I'm on the East Coast of Florida scouting out those big redfish,snook and seatrout. Lets see, wadders? maybe. Sunscreen? definitely. Pogy oil? Do you think they know what that is? I'll let you know. Fly out Thursday, return late Monday eve. Two days with a guide. I'm just starting to learn how to use my new digital camers.I hope there is something to show. Keep safe and warm, and don't let those big ones get by without a reel eel sandwich.
Old 10-29-2001, 08:46 PM

Have a great time Case - and if you need a photographer I'd be happy to take the camera so the guide can mind the poling and you can focus on the fish! }>
Old 10-30-2001, 08:01 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
I'm thinking of joining the crew for one last hurrah. Even if there's no fish, I'm sure the time will be well spent!

Nick
Old 10-30-2001, 09:15 AM

Juro, I've allready offered Brandon the extra space in my duffle, But for the price of an airline ticket your in, hotel and car are paid for. Lets go!
Old 10-30-2001, 09:17 AM

Don't tempt me... I am just crazy enough to do it!
Old 10-30-2001, 09:25 AM

Guys,
I really would like to make Chatham this weekend to see ya all catch a few twinkers, but after 4 outings last week I better duck and cover. But...it just so happens that my sister in law needs me to bring some furniture to Rhodey in my truck around Thanksgiving. So I'm finagling an early drop off of said furniture, say..on a weekday within the next 10 days...hmmmmm. November Exotoids!!!

Lefty
Old 10-30-2001, 09:54 AM
President of CAC

Terry... Twinkers? we don't catch twinkers in Chatham. Not this weekend... sorry you can't make it... keep an eye out for the usual reports.
Old 10-30-2001, 06:52 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Men,

Just when I thought that my season was over...

I may be able to make the trip. If plans solidify then keep me posted.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-30-2001, 07:07 PM

I'm in. Probably the swan song for my salt season. And what a great season it was >sigh< best I've ever had in terms of cow bass from shore and every single one on a fly.

I practically lived on the flats this year, enough so that I started thinking about the risk of melanoma. I am hopelessly addicted to sight fishing. I sported a racoon tan from May to September. Oh well you only live once. It was great being able to share that experience with a lot of folks this year too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.