In my mind I'm goin' to Carolina... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2000, 02:17 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

In my mind I'm goin' to Carolina...

Matt, Nate, Mark F., Steve, all you guys who have had or are about to get some serious palm burn -

I've seen all I need to see. I gotta get down to fat albert country one of these years. Maybe even this year. Crazier things have happened!

Questions for ya:

Best month(s)?

How many days minimum?

Shore shuttle looked productive and easy - how's it work?

What would we need to watch out for besides weather conditions?

Licenses?

Would you guys co-meister a Carolina Clave someday?

- Juro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2000, 03:08 PM

RE:In my mind I'm goin' to Carolina...

Juro,

Now I've got that J.T. song bouncing around in my head! As well as visions of 20# FAs screaming into backing!

Also, I had forgotten about that Sand-Flea Hatch we saw at Chatham, did you find out anything about that? Had to be one of the strangest things I've ever seen.
Old 11-08-2000, 03:47 PM

Juro: Here's a rundown of what we're doing next week. Our main goal was to keep it cheap and I think we've done that pretty well:

Flying from Providence to New Bern (which is under an hour's drive to Morehead City) cost: $188 R/T per person

Renting a car for 5 days cost: about $140 split between the 3 of us ($46 ea. for the full time there)

Lodging is dirt cheap down there this time of year. We have a room booked in Morehead City for $40/night split between 3 of us ($160/3 = $54 ea.)

We are renting a 19 foot center console boat for three days for $143/day ($143 ea.), plus fuel and oil. Boats are kept docked at night right at the rental place which is about 1 mile from our hotel.

Total is $431 per person before fuel, oil, food & drink, chum, parking at TH Green. So say, $500 (that was our budget). Considering most of the charters run $450+ for a full day, I think we're doing alright.

Best month is definately November.

I would say 3 days on a boat is enough. After a while your muscles (or equipment) give up and you're basically done anyway. Fishing from shore would be different since you don't hook up nearly as often.

All my reports suggest that the best fishing this year (and last year too) has been outside Beaufort Inlet and not at Cape Lookout. Beaufort Inlet is less than half the distance from Morehead City as the Hook is. A lot of the guys that have been staying at Harker's Island are planning to stay in Morehead City or Beaufort next season because of this.

A friend of mine trailered his Maritime down there from Duxbury last week. He fished 4 days and it cost him and his buddy approx. $400 each. I'd gladly pay the extra $100 to not have to worry about burnt bearings, flat tires, etc. and then get down there totally spent from the drive, but that's just me. He does it every season.
Old 11-08-2000, 04:37 PM

Juro, I don't know nearly as much as some others about the fishery, but I'd say that from what I saw the 1st week in Nov is the most popular. I'm saying this because we kept hearing that the fishing was just heating up(we left on the 2nd) and because Bob Clouser, Bob Popovics, and a number of other big name fishermen were just getting there when we left.

If you're fishing from a boat you can get by with less time spent down there, you can just go to the crowds to get into fish and figure things out from there. Shore fishing requires more time I think, mainly because you're going to spend less time fishing and you'll get less shots while you are fishing. It also took first day just to get the place figured out for us, but that was kind of due to a shortage of firsthand info about fishing the area from shore.

About the shore shuttle, it can be a pain. Calico Jacks is probably the best bet, as you can arrange to have them take you out early(for extra $$). the other shuttles leave at '8:45'(read:9ish) and return at '5pm'(read:4:20ish). Harker's island only ran 2 of the 6 days we were there, the other 4 days the ferry driver just didn't show up for work. Another thing is cost: depending on who you talk to and how their day is going the shuttle out to the spit can cost between $15 and $30 per person round trip.

Next time i go down I'm thinking about camping out on cape lookout. It's free, you aren't dependent on the ferries, and you get a lot more fishing in. It also has it's downsides though, mainly sand, lots of sand everywhere, so i'm not sure.

I think a good fisherman can be productive fishing from shore there, not nearly as productive as from a boat, but you can get fish and for me there's just something about getting them in the surf. Our best day from shore we got 5 fish and had antother come unbuttoned. I have no idea how many fish we got in the day out with Captain Parsons, but it was probably around 25-30. Most of the people we saw out there fishing from shore didn't really seem to be trying too hard, it seemed as though they were just killing time because they weren't guided that day. This was only on the weekend, we had the place almost to ourselves on the weekdays except for the boat hammerheads that wanted to be fishing from shore

Renting a boat is a great idea if you're comfortable with it. Neither my friend or I really had any experience piloting a boat in the salt, so we decided to play it safe on that one.

I wouldn't completely dismiss the idea of a guide either. The guy we went with(Lee Parsons) was i think $425 for a full day, and a full day turned out to be about 9.5 hours, a pleasant surprise when expecting a keys type 8 hour day. The guides, at least some of them, keep each other pretty well informed, which can make a big difference.

We flew into Raliegh-Durham and the tickets were about $100 each from logan. It's about a 3.5 hour drive to the coast from there.

Matt
Old 11-09-2000, 04:15 AM

I too am planning to go to NC. Saw a presentation at the last CCA Boston meeting which touched on the fishery. Here is what some of the people said. November is the best month but very crowded. A 12wt rod seems to be the best. Also, bring a spare line and rod as insurance. Fishing is done by following the shrimp boats and casting near the stern where the albies are eating the chum. From shøre the average fish is nine pounds. From a boat they can run up to sixteen pounds.
FishHawk
Old 11-09-2000, 07:10 AM

Fishhawk,
When I was down there I got the impression that fishing behind the shrimp boats("bubbas") was somewhat of a last resort. It is said that some of the biggest fish are caught that way, but for the most part folks seemed to avoid it as long as there were fish to be had elsewhere.

I'd also say that a 12 wt might be overkill for these fish, I got a little nervous about the backing on my biggest fish, but I don't feel I was ever in danger of actually getting spooled and I was always able to get the fish in reasonably quickly to release it. This is especially true if you're fishing from shore, as blind casting a 12 weight from shore all day doesn't sound too pleasant.

Lastly, in my (meager) experience the shore fish were on average the same size as the fish we got while boat fishing(keep in mind we didn't fish behind the shrimp boats) and our biggest shore fish was the same size if not a tad bigger than our biggest boat fish- around 17-18lbs.

I definitely agree that a spare outfit is a good idea, the fly tackle selection on Harker's Island leaves much to be desired. I had visions of exploding rods a couple of times when i tried to bring green fish to the boat too fast and they decided to sound right next to the boat.

Matt
Old 11-09-2000, 07:36 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

First of all, this information is incredible and I am both appreciative and impressed at the "Yankee frugality". It is way more do-able than I had ever dreamed, financially. Well, except for the extra equipment and physical therapy bills... hurts so good

Reading this it occurred to me that the fish probably aren't just eating the by-catch, they are probably focused on the shrimp being attracted by the chum as well! Therefore the fly selection plot thickens...

Kinda like coho salmon fishing - you sight or blind cast whenever you can but in between you 'bucktail'. That means flop the fly out there about 60 feet and troll so fast the fly is flipping on the surface. Hang on to the rod REAL tight... KABANG! zzzZZZZzzzzzZZZZZZ
Old 11-09-2000, 08:53 AM

Juro It's interesting that you mention trolling. Most of the people we saw fishing would blast from pod to pod at something just over ludicrous speed, while our guide only had us pull the rods if we were moving a long distance, all other times he motored at a fast trolling speed and had me(being lefty i was in the stern) troll my fly with about 60ft of line behind the boat. This technique picked up 4 strikes and 3 fish. Most of the time the strikes came after someone else had been kind enough to put a working pod down for us and we were moving away. One strike came out of nowhere, we were just moving along and all of a sudden 'fish on'.

The first fish i got nearly took my rod, I hadn't taken the captain seriously when he suggested troll, but complied anyway. If i hadn't had some line stripped onto the deck which gave me time to get my act together the fish might've pulled the rod from my hands when it came tight on the reel.

Matt

ps Speaking of yankee frugality: There's a diner in Morehead City, i think it's The Captain's Table, where you can get a full dinner for about $5. The food's not great, but it was good enough.
Old 11-09-2000, 09:34 AM
BB5 Survivor

Juro --

I'm with ya brother...when shall we go????????

--jared
Old 11-09-2000, 10:13 AM

Matt + Juro,

Shhhhhhhhhh!!, Who mentioned trolling flies as a method to catching fish? That's supposed to be a trade Captain's secret.

It's a great way for children or lesser skilled fly fishers to catch a fish on a fly rod.

As you mentioned Matt, quite often when moving back to re-drift a spot, we leave the lines in the water. As you noted, by your success it really works.

When your fishing in six feet of water your electronics won't find many fish. Your area of your beam is minimum, noise of the motor and shadow of your boat will prevent this.

Trailing your lines behind the boat does several things. Keeps your fly away from your boat. Acts like a fishfinder. When you hook-up, you have found the fish again. Just kill the engine.

Did some tests this summer on motor noise? If the motor is running and in gear, sometime it doesn't matter. Me think that is has to do with the prop pushing water and making current. That's what tuna fisherman do?

Ray
Old 11-09-2000, 06:43 PM

You can see my house from B Inlet. I will be there for thanksgiving I will mostly be duck hunitng though. Seems like this is really catching on. I am starting to get worried about the fishery. So many boats and lines. I know this is stingy of me. I guess now I know how all the locals on the cape feel. I will just miss those Saturday afternoons after watching a ball game on the tube we would go out and fish til dusk, no one else out. Last year I went back and the saturday I went felt like a day at wacky. 20-40 boats fling around to every pod. I just don't know how to feel about all this. I wish everyone the best of luck and know everyone has share so much about New England fishing with me.
Old 08-06-2001, 05:10 PM

Sign me up !!!
Old 10-22-2001, 10:38 AM
Recent Member

Quote:
jared (11-09-2000 09:34 a.m.):
Juro --

I'm with ya brother...when shall we go????????

--jared
Old 10-22-2001, 10:44 AM
Recent Member

I will try to stop there on my way to florida this Nov- would also go on a group trip next fall or even this nov if you could arraNGE IT IN A HURRY Do you have any lodging-shuttle-boat rental information- or even a number to call to investigate-or perhaps some of the guys on this bulletin board.
Matt, Nate, Mark F., Steve, all you guys who have had or are about to get some serious palm burn -

I've seen all I need to see. I gotta get down to fat albert country one of these years. Maybe even this year. Crazier things have happened!

Questions for ya:

Best month(s)?

How many days minimum?

Shore shuttle looked productive and easy - how's it work?

What would we need to watch out for besides weather conditions?

Licenses?

Would you guys co-meister a Carolina Clave someday?

- Juro[/quote]
Old 10-22-2001, 10:56 AM
Recent Member

[quote]seafox (10-22-2001 11:38 a.m.):
[quote]jared (11-09-2000 09:34 a.m.):
Juro --

Can't get this computer thing yet. Juro,if you sent me a note here's the reply. I will leave NY on the 7th of Nov and head to Fla stopping on the way to research Harkers Isle.and fish from shore if I can. Anyone headed down or already there I could visit or whatever- If anyone here wants to try to go let me know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.