Anybody Fishing ? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2001, 06:16 PM
Yak Guy

Anybody Fishing ?

No reports? Did you Flyguys hang it up for the season?Still lots of fishing left.Milford harbor has lots of bunker with big blues and bass around.Dont give up yet ,the winter is long .
Quit Wishin Go Fishin
joev
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2001, 06:30 PM

Fished Chatham light this morning, got tomato juice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2001, 06:26 AM

Joev - where's Milford Harbor - is that in CT?

I had relatives show up and had intended to hit Chatham area - but it's not going to happen this weekend due to company.

DaveP
Old 11-04-2001, 07:58 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Tell us more Joev! Although yesterday was an amazing day of fishing, fish were not part of the reason. The season was clearly fading into the sunset, and what an incredible sunset it was. But if there were a proper farewell in the cards to what was surely the best striper season of my life so far, one more striper thumb for the year, a reason to wash my backing, etc - I wouldn't be opposed to it one bit!
Old 11-04-2001, 08:15 AM

Juro - you're not telling me it's time to throw the towel in - are ya? I gotta get out one more time, even if it's a weekday this week. Won't be looking necessarily for big-un's - just something on the end of my fly.

DaveP
Old 11-04-2001, 10:19 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Nothing's cast in concrete but I fished my butt off every weekend this season and between demanding hours at the day job and family responsibilities I've fallen way behind on other projects I've started and it's time to pay the piper. That's not to say I won't take advantage of a few fall trout here and there and if the Carolina situation materializes I will be all over that, winter steelhead in the pacific northwest is likely, and with airfares being as low as they are I just might pull the rip cord and take the escape shuttle down to the Keys some weekend when the snow is deep just to jettison some gloom.

May sound a little funny but man, I am sated with the striper season I've had and feeling a bit guilty about the things I've let fall thru the cracks. Many of them have to do with this site!

I'd pay Joev a visit if I had a weekday to give like you. Chatham was pretty sterile over the weekend. You might contact Capt.Tod Murphy, Harry Koons, Capt. Bruce Peters, Sean Fields, or one of the other Cape guides for their take on recent cape fishing. Big cod are in close, a sign of the times.

If the reports are irresistable you know I'll be out there with ya!
Old 11-05-2001, 04:39 AM

Eastern Long Island is the place to be right now. Fish stacked up in the rivers. Lots of bass and blues. I will scout out the place for future LI Clave. Have the name of a local guide who could put us on to the fish. You have to move with the fish. FishHawk
Old 11-05-2001, 07:10 AM
Yak Guy

Sorry I did not get back sooner.Milford Harbor is in CT.Big Schools of bunker in it.Great flyguy location ,lowtide you can really get out there.Fished Friday from yak livelining a bunker fly.Caught 3 blues 10-12 pds. had another 6 runoffs,left at 10 am.Went to Napatree big waves lots of wind not much happening .I paddled out to point fished for a couple of hours nadda.Hit Milford Sunday am with a bunch of yak guys .2 drove down from upstate NY they caught a couple each on bunker.I got nadda.But talked to bunch of fly guys.They told me the bass were there on Sat. one guy picked up 4 to 32 inches.Also the little pond to the right has been holding some bass.Lots of hickory shad there also.So dont stop yet just do a little road trip.Time to get a yak for all you non yakkers it will open up lots of areas for the nonboaters.I also heard there are lots of fish in the Thames river above the sub base.A little bird told ya .
Joev
Old 11-05-2001, 01:45 PM
Yak Guy

Joe, Doug & Jim:
Thanks also for your Thames reports from last week. With Pine Island not producing, I wanted to get my 12 yr old son hooked up, so we headed up to Norwich on Sat am. (Left the Pungo at home and took the 15' ctr console). We had a ball in the shallows behind the walls with surface feeding bass. Lots of bait and lots of fish. We didn't boat any keepers but I'm sure they were there; we did keep one blue for the grill. My son had a ball... Thanks again!

PS: with the big boat having motor problems and now trolling motor problems; it appears that the Pungo is going to have to deliver from here to season's end. I'll pass on any reports from Napatree and/or Pine Island. Looks like some High Pressure coming in for later in the week, on the otherside of this blow; that means that its time to use up the remaining vacation time.

This post was copied off another site directed at me .Hope this helps Fliboy.
joev
Old 11-05-2001, 04:04 PM

Friday night I hit Chatham pretty hard with GregD and his firecracker of a son. Man that kid has some energy, when I left he was hard at it. We saw some bait around but there were no fish to be had.
Sunday: I poked around Falmouth & B-bay. I saw a school of about 100 sand eels at the canal that feeds into little pond. Nothing chasing the bait. I brought my daughter thinking we might get into something as the ponds dumped. It was cool pointing out the bait and having her actually see it. We also saw tons of silversides way up in b-bay. If nothing else it was casting practice for both of us.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.