Ken Abrames' presentation - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2001, 08:57 PM

Ken Abrames' presentation

I attended my first CCA meeting last week (South Shore chapter). The guest speaker was Ken Abrames which is actually what drew me to the event. There was quite a turnout and the presentation by Ken was very informative. Several slides were displayed of baitfish in the water, some shots where fish tanks were submerged in the sea; others were natural shots of the bait fish swimming free. I did not know that most often the silver side's stripe shows up as a dark line when the fish is in the water and only shines silver when the light hits it at just the right angle which doesn't happen that often unless the bait is on it's side. The point being that we tend to observe bait fish either from above looking down at them through the water or out of the water, this is not the same perspective the predators have so patterns based solely on this view may lack something or be completely off base. I'm not about to give up flash but the dark line is something to try as well. Several other slides illustrated the coloration of various baitfishes the most notable of which showed a bunch of sand eels, some with brilliant chartreuse coloration and others that were subdued sand colored within inches of each other. The evening ended with a fly tying demo of a flat wing that was also quite informative.
Mike Powers brought a conservation item to the attention of the group. The issue is the overnight parking of commuter rail trains on the North River marsh, obviously this will have an impact on the habitat. If you are concerned about the future of this beautiful area keep an eye out for a meeting date on FFSW/CCA forum there's a meeting in Hingham this Month. Iím not sure of the particulars but I suspect a turnout of those in favor of conservation couldnít hurt, the date is yet to be announced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2001, 12:16 PM
Middle Aged Member

RE:Ken Abrames' presentation

I caught Ken Abrames presentation in Taunton (put on by The Bears Den)last Saturday. I was just going to drop in for an hour or two, but ended up staying for the duration (5 hrs.). Very interesting and informative. He started out with the slideshow on baitfish, then did some tying, then talked about tactics for fish not feeding aggresively (lying in wait in the current as opposed to chasing bait)and finally fishing the surf with the emphasis on reading the beach for current. All good, practical stuff. Based on some of what I've heard I half expected something a bit more abstract.

Best compliment: I picked up a copy of the "Perfect Fish". My wife, who wouldn't be caught dead looking at a flyfishing book, was facsinated with this book, especially the illustrations.

Regards,
Fred A.
Old 03-02-2001, 12:52 PM

I was also struck by the way Ken described his style of fishing- definitely a little more contempletive than what I often find myself doing.....

The underwater view of bait was pretty interesting. Flies coming off the vice in the next couple of weeks might just look a little different from those tied up last year

Lots of ideas to try out this season- and I hope SOON!!!!
Old 03-02-2001, 02:47 PM
John_Desjardins

This winter I've been hearing a lot about Ken Abrames presentations on how baitfish look in the wild. Everytime I hear a description of the presentation I realize that I have missed a truly informative session. I do have one question though; What do the flies look like under similar conditions?
Old 03-02-2001, 04:07 PM

Excellent Point John. Here's a suggestion, tie on some 10lb tippet and pull them back and forth through the tub. Make sure the kids aren't taking a bath when you do this. Now if you want to test the durability of the fly or simulate what it look like in the canal turn on the Jaccuzzi motor and stand back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.