If Juro had wings?! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2000, 05:21 PM

If Juro had wings?!

Juro...and Company
I found an interesting item on the web and wanted to share it...I'm sure there are a good many more just waiting for the rock to be turned over. Perhaps we could collect the good ones and put them in a special place?!

A search for COAST.MIT.EDU will yield how Monomoy would look if the JuroMeister had wings! In fact, if you look real close, you can see him on DA RIP...
Aerodynamically yours...
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2000, 07:09 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:If Juro had wings?!

Thanks for the recommendation Solo, we regularly salivate over those aerials during the off season. In fact I've stared at the Monomoy aerials so often that it drives me nuts the way they split up the views. The section between Morris Island, South Beach and the Monomoy Islands is my favorite. I have often shown it to co-workers who just don't understand the appeal of flyfishing... and have never been met with anything less than a look of amazement.

Your message reminds me... wonder what stage of tide big girl was in during her photo shoot...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2000, 09:31 PM

Unfortunatly those images are from 1998, normally a nanosecond geologically but a lifetime in the dynamic world of the outer cape. I'd love to be able to see a side-by-side comparison of today versus 1998.....
Old 11-15-2000, 05:15 AM
Middle Aged Member

I think Bob's point is driven home if you zoom into the bowl leading to Big Girl. I could swear the curl had moved perceptively to the north each time I got out there.

Fred A
Old 11-15-2000, 09:40 AM
President of CAC

I have tried getting into that web site and it does not pull up, can you forward it again .Thanks
Old 11-15-2000, 10:10 AM

I remember when the bar was pointing southeast like that. In fact it has changed drastically (when you include the bar and channel to the south) just over this summer alone!

Nature is amazing. What's even more amazing is the permanence of the 30' blue hole on Brewster Flats... mind boggling! I've seen charts from the 70's listing it at 30 feet deep, we cheked it w/ electronics this year at 32' at high tide.
Old 11-15-2000, 06:03 PM

Juro,
The Brewster 'hole' does defy traditional logic. Shoulda filled in by now don't you think? My guess would be that there is a 'spring' discharging there which keeps the sand that naturally tries to wash in from getting 'compacted'?
Old 11-15-2000, 08:53 PM

It has moved from one side of the trench to the other in the last few years, but even though the surrounding flats change constantly the hole seems to stay in the apex of the lobes of flats that dump in and out every 6 hours. My theory is that because of the location on the inside of the 'arm' of the cape, there is some regularity to the tide advance and retreat and thus the hole lasts for decades, if not centuries unlike the longshore rips of the outer coast that push sand southward to form Monomoy Islands, etc (according to the brief readings at the Chatham Anglers Club).

John - could you please post information on the geographical reference of the cape you had? thanks!
Old 11-15-2000, 09:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd

I just looked at these, is there a salt pond near the rip tip???? sure looks it in the photo. Tom D
Old 11-16-2000, 09:09 AM
President of CAC

Juro, are you talking about the paperback book I have on the Cape Geology from the earlies formation(ice age). It is down at the house but I will be going down with my wife this weekend to pick up some things and will post the book title or excerpts on those points.
Old 11-16-2000, 11:36 AM

Thanks John, I was a little dumb I mean numb from the late night drive and that light brown liquid from Scotland but the value of geological knowledge has been sinking in lately. Even as we speak about the blue hole in Brewster and the changes to the Chatham / Monomoy areas, a macro level view of what's happened and what will continue to occur would be enlightening.

Thanks, I look forward to getting the info.

regards,

Juro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.