Hudson River, Croton 4/28 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2001, 03:13 PM
Flats Rat

Hudson River, Croton 4/28

I finally got out to wet a line at Croton Point Park this morning. I arrived at about 9:00 a.m. and it seems I missed the bite by about two hours. A local guy with a small skiff was coming off the water as I arrived. He'd had two keepers out of seven fish for about an hours fishing. I had an hour or so of outgoing tide left and, seeing someone wading way out I thought I'd give it a try. The water's very murky down there and I wasn't too hopeful. After about half a dozen casts, everything went solid, very solid. I slowly started to lift against what felt like an old tyre when the surface exploded. Big fish but what? Certainly didn't feel like a striper. Just kept swimming away. After about 20 minutes of heaving and pulling, I wrapped my arms arround a huge Carp of about 30lb. Another angler with spinning gear came over to look and got very excited. Seeing my charteuse clouser he started muttering something about "slugos".

By this time the North Easterly wind was taking its toll and the water felt pretty cold. I left him to his Slugo and headed up to the new Croton Dam for a bit of reconaisance. It's a spectacular spot with some very nice trout water. I was really interested in checking out a spot where very large stripers are rumored to hold out after chasing herring up the river. Apparently none have been seen yet this year but the trout fishermen don't like them. It seems the stripers are just as happy munching on an 18 inch brownie as a 12 inch herring. Needless to say, this spot will be a regular checking in point for me over the next few weeks. My day was made when an otter appeared on the opposite bank!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.