Help with Joppa. . . - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2001, 03:47 PM

Help with Joppa. . .

When would be the optimum time in the tide to fish Joppa? I'm sure it varies but what has been your experience? Also, is it usually productive early in the season? Plum Island point is perhaps the best overall place to fish but sometimes I like to get away from the crouds and explore Joppa - usually with little success however.

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2001, 06:31 PM

Ive always fished it by boat, 2 hours on the outgoing an then just drift around on the low, not much water but you will always BUMP into fish that like to eat the bait that hide in the holes you could even walk out at the same tide an fish the channle an do great.always fished at NIGHT. no one around just you an the fish. 'GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN"
Old 05-10-2001, 11:11 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hi Bill -

You are best off to pick a minus tide and start heading out with the dropping tide. Often there will be fish chasing bait in the shallows on the way out. You can either work from the upper end down, or head straight down to the far end (where I have the best luck). As low tide approaches, the fish that are up above the boat club will descend into the channel - if you are lucky. When this happens the fishing can be fast and furious. Sometimes they take the outer reaches and only the boat guys wack 'em. Other times they are not in that channel at all. When they do get concentrated there it can be pretty awesome.

*** Most importantly fish it on the drop and thru the ebb, don't stay for the flood! ***

Occasionally the flat to the east can get pods of hyperactive bass pounding it at higher tide levels. Careful walking out there though, it's m-u-c-k-y!

To get away from the crowds consider Hampton, the refuge, and the beachfront as other alternatives. Some spots further up the river offer good fishing opportunities too.
Old 05-10-2001, 03:11 PM

Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate the feedback and will use it to my advantage (hopefully). I have fished Joppa several times and managed the smallest schoolie I have ever seen - It made me wonder if there was a breeding population in the Merrimac! I also fished Joppa on the incoming and although I was well aware of the "ditch" closer to the ramp, my waders filled with cold early May brine - talk about nervous time! It's hard not to panic. I plan on fishing Tues. through Fri. of next week if anyone cares to join me - it would be great to meet you guys.

Bill
Old 05-11-2001, 03:55 AM

Bill,

Joppa is mainly a May/June hotspot for the wading fisherman. I prefer a dropping tide early in the morning. You can generally start wading approx. 2 hours prior to low. Take care on a rising tide, especially out in front of the ramp, as there is a trough that is about a 1 1/2 ft. deeper than the top of the flats. Those who like to push their luck near the top of their waders often get surprised.

Joppa should be red hot on the next set of early a.m. low tides!

Doug B.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.