Fly Swap UPDATE! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2001, 03:43 PM

Fly Swap UPDATE!

Ok,
Sorry that I may have missed some of the recent questions regarding the swap. Penalty points will be assigned against your miester at the close of the festivities....

A. Flies can be of whatever you feel inspired to do. Have what you think is an original? That's great! An old classic Lefty's Deceiver, send 'em in. The only prerequisite is that it's got to fun for the participants so have at it!

B. Six of the same pattern would be great, makes redistribution easier.

C. Images. That's a bit trickier question. A photo summary of all the submissions would be nice. But in spite of Juro's optimism, Santa somehow missed the megapixel part of my Christmas list so taking a set of digital photo's isn't possible right now. Juro, maybe you & I should discuss options on this?

And just to pique your curiosity...
Thanks to the early arrivals;
Big Pete (yup, Calgary arrived first!) // <b><font size="2">Split Tail Squid</b></font><!--2-->
Tom Dunlap // <b><font size="2">Ray's Flies</b></font><!--2-->
Big Cat // <b><font size="2">Small White Fly</b></font><!--2-->
Ron Lomas // <b><font size="2">Flatwing Bunker/Herring</b></font><!--2--> (Hey Ron! Did you add that little bend to those hooks yourself?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2001, 05:17 PM

RE:Fly Swap UPDATE!

Well...I still have 3 to 6 flies to tie depending on how fussy I get. It's good to know that I don't HAVE to send in 6 of the same. My little white clousers look the best...but I figured that would be boring! My first couple of bigger flies...I don't want them to be seen in public!!

As for being swapmeister...Mr. Pink, I know the feeling...sort of...I just volunteered to be swapmeister on FFSW board....for a hand tied jig swap.

Doug B.
Old 01-10-2001, 05:32 PM

doug
If you are ever up in Portland Maine there is a tackle shop on India Street where one of the (I think) owners is a guy named Dana. He ties up some badass big jigs for fishing the fast waters of the deep tidal rivers in Maine. They usually sell out early each spring but he does an unbelievable job.
If you are up there it's worth a stop.

and geeze, please drop the "Mr", makes me feel old!
Old 01-10-2001, 07:32 PM

Mr. Pink...err...ummm....Hey Bob,
I visited the Tackle Shop in Portland a couple weeks ago. Picked up some polar fibre and other goodies.
I'll have to go back up and ask about those jigs you mentioned! Only a little over an hour drive for me.
Thanks again for the tip!
Doug B.
Old 01-11-2001, 07:39 AM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd

Doug, don't worry about the small white clousers being boring... they are the kind of thing I never tie for myself! Bob sent bunnie flies(at least the ones I got), last year. and I ended up using alot of bunnies last year as my go-to fly.and even started experimenting with them alot. Tom D
Old 01-11-2001, 07:59 AM

Bob,

I'll have mine with me at the show (in the event I haven't gotten them off to you before then- New Year's resolution number....uhhhhhh...... well, some number )

M
Old 01-11-2001, 08:15 AM

I am half way through mine, and may have them by the show. I am doing kind of a ridiculously large pattern but hey, go big or go home right?

I hope our fellow swappers fish north of the cape as I am doing a home waters fly.
Old 01-11-2001, 09:32 AM
President of CAC

Bob, I e-mailed Juro and suggested to him that I will bring mine to the Clave since I am only a beginner... but I think they are good. I am starting to Attend the weekly fly tying group at First Light Anglers in Mancheaster. Did Three patterns last night.. The Puglesi Herring, Silverside minnow and and another herring pattern. Used Polar fiber and near hair appropriatly for the various patterns.
Old 01-11-2001, 03:21 PM

Sounds like everyone has the right idea. Greg, I think a killer fly for a particular area is just the motivation needed to visit someplace new, right? John, you are possessed. I'm sure that your passion for the sport will be evident in every fly that comes off the vice. Doug, always remember that the standards are considered standards for a good reason. They belong in every flybox. Marvin, I'll be there (hopefully Friday PM and) Saturday. You could leave them with Juro or call me on my cell #617-510-8619 when you get there. I'll be in some corner cringing as I realize once again just how little I know about this 'sport'.....
Old 01-15-2001, 04:03 PM

Recent Arrival!

RichS. <font size="2"><b>Shrimp Pattern</font><!--2--></b>(unnamed but very nicely tied) Rich was nice enough to send 21 flies which should be enough for everyone as well as a special coupon bonus for his shop! <font size="2"><b>Thanks Rich!</font><!--2--></b>
Old 01-15-2001, 05:22 PM

BOB, the shrimp are my patten nothing psec, but they do work. "GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
Old 01-15-2001, 06:50 PM

Bob,

I'm planning on turning mine in at the SSully-Clave. I just finished Typing up the recipes & realized I have 17 (several dups.)! So, I'll need your expert help (opinion) narrowing down the field! Also, It would be great if I got some of those Shrimp in my receive bag; it looks like a FLA trip (Cocoa Beach -- Indian River) is begining to look like a reality, WO-HOO!
Old 01-15-2001, 07:39 PM

grego,
Do you think I would compromise the noble position of 'miester' and bend to pressure for a particular type of pattern? You bet! Can't say that I can do a custom blend for everyone but doesn't hurt to ask. I might even toss in some small shrimp patterns I tied last winter and never fished...
Old 01-15-2001, 07:43 PM

BobP,

You D'Man. See you at SSully-Clave-2K+1 !!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.