Fly Fishing Forum banner

FIRST ANNUAL INDOOR CASTING CLAVE!!!

3K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 ·
<font size="3">Initial reservations have been made!</font><!--3-->

Join us for the first annual indoor casting clave at the Reading Athletic Center, a HUMONGOUS facility too large for anyone to cast across - even with two handed rods

<font color="0000ff">EVENT: Indoor Casting Clave - double haul yer' ass off, try all kinds of rods, reels and lines, meet fellow forum folks, bring a youngster for free lessons.

DATE: March 31st, Saturday

PLACE: Reading MA, Reading High Athletic Center

TIME: 1pm-4pm

COST: TBD - But approx $15 per person, special rates for junior casters. The more that come, the cheaper it gets!

Raffle Prizes will be drawn, etc.
</font><!--color-->

Please sign up now to allow us to plan ahead.

<i>Special thanks to clavemeister Dave Williams (applause)</i>

See less See more
#11 ·
Great! Lucky 13... think about recruiting people you know who might want to learn how to cast. This will be a great forum for working out a few kinks too, for those who already have a working cast but might want to tune it up. It's good for all levels, everyone needs to work up to seasonal form and the timings perfect.

Considering that people will bring an average of 3 rods each (no limit) we are already talking 45-50 rods to sample thus far. Two-handers? There will be at least four if not more.

We'll have some fun contests too - prize givaways, etc. It'll be a great time!

#12 ·
Juro,

I will bring both my two handed rods along - 15' (11/12 wt) and 12' (9 / 10wt)- the actions are "traditional spey" but I'd be interested in your thoughts. I haven't had them out of the bags for about four years and I need to replace one of the rings on "big bertha" - should be very interesting.

#13 ·
Sounds great Adrian! The facility (which I understand is gargantuan) is lined with an athletic foam surface. If there is any surface area where one could 'get a grip' then I could tie up a grass leader so we could play Spey games. The place is certainly big enough.

In any case, it will be good to bring the traditional Spey rods if for no other reason than to let everyone feel the difference between overhand and Spey actions.

The more rod varieties the merrier!

#19 ·
I'm going to try to make it. It's a bit of a drive for me so I don't want to comit yet but in all likelyhood I'll be there. I have an 8 year old daughter who'd love a lesson in casting, Santa brought her a inexpensive 7wt combo and it's just been much to wintery to have her try it. She's much more coordinated than I am. I only have a couple of rods but I will bring 3 different lines.

#20 ·
Since there are no hooks involved and no water to fall into, I think kids are a great idea provided clave meister Dave Williams agrees.

One word on cost: the cost of the facility and custodial services will be divided evenly between attendees. If we get the headcount up a bit more we can have kids come free and set aside a period of time for kids only, kind of like the roller skating rink. Just a suggestion to put up for discussion.

That reminds me, don't forget the trout weights!

G
#21 ·
I think the presence of kids who are interested would be fine. You know your child best and what their attention span is. 3 hours can be a long time. There won't be much to do if someone becomes disinterested after a while.
Dave

#22 ·
Here is a idea that I had about this event. Depending on how this one works out perhaps next year we could have several of the flyshops sponsor the event. With a group of potential customers it looks like a win win for everyone. Juro I'll talk to you about this at the clave.
FishHawk

#23 ·
Thanks Fishhawk... actually, I'm thinking about it for *this* clave. Talk about getting all kinds of rods to try

BTW - <!--http--><a href="http://flyfishingforum.com/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=stripers&Post=872" target="_blank">LINK to CURRENT ROSTER</a><!--url-->

#25 ·
Sounds like a great afternoon.

I would like to go and bring my wife and daughter. I did the "sign-up", but if you already hit your limit, just put us on a wait list and I'll keep checking the roster. My wife has never touched a fly rod, but when I told her I was planning to go, she said she is very interested in learning. Gotta seize that opportunity. My daughter is young (6) but very excited about going. She has surprised us in the past with a pretty good attention span with things we thought might not hold her attention. We'll watch her and make an early exit if she loses interest or becomes a distraction to anyone. Whatever the meister decides about kid participation is no problem with us.

Thanks for setting this up, Dave.

Bill S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.