Hooked a fish yesterday. - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2001, 12:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
Hooked a fish yesterday.

That makes me 2 for 8 on the year just can't seem to stay connected this year.
Anyway it was in a gin clear Columbia river tributary that is dam controlled. I saw at least a dozen other fish but this one was the only biter. It came up for a black muddler. kinda funny both of the fish that i landed were also the fish that i made the longest casts for. I really don't attribute that to anything just coincidence. Sometimes they just come unbuttoned.
I have had 3 break offs this year though which i find very disturbing. I have now quit using Maxima ultragreen and gone back to Chameleon.. I did a test on the knot strength of the Ultragreen and although it held it's strength undera continuous pull it had a 100% failure rate given a slight shock even the 25lb.... All the tests were preformed with properly tied blood knots and I just pulled on the line with my bare hands. I was told that Ultragreen deteriorates very quickly once exposed to ultraviolet rays. But i figure if I am still hooking fish on Chameleon then the fish don't care if there in a long brown string of the end of the fly they are gulping down...

So how is everyone else doing???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2001, 05:27 PM
Mr. Mom

How am I doing? Jeaulous of your hookups, that's how!!!!! My landing ratio is higher though, currently at 100%. The problem is my hook up to landing ratio is one to one ;-) The best advice I can give you is to dump the blood knot. Plainly stated it sucks! A double or triple surgeons is tons more reliable, both from a user error perspective (it's hard to tie one wrong), and from a knot strength perspective. Give it a try and see for yourself. The blood knot is the most overated, and one of the most difficult to tie knots out there. Not just my opinion, tests back that up. Check the tests on Maxima too... It ranks pretty far down on the list... The reason most folks can land a big fish on 8lb maxima is because it's really 12 lb test. The problem is compared to other 12 lb test lines it's not that great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.