Chatham Inlet - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2001, 06:25 PM
President of CAC

Chatham Inlet

Anyone want to predict what the Chatham Inlet will look like after this storm. Knowing the Big Girl bar and the sandbars out there this summer there should be some big changes out there. My thinking is that the point will extend some distance to the left , creating a new beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2001, 09:36 PM

RE:Chatham Inlet

john,
I was up on the Nauset Highlands road in Orleans yestrday while looking a Summer cottage rentals. Looked like the beach just south of Gorilla hole had alread washed over a couple of times this winter into the creek that runs behind. Big winds and surf tonight & tomorrow could creat some major changes....
Old 03-06-2001, 09:14 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

From my POV, it's great to have reliable locations to goto - but it's far more satisfying to celebrate the discovery of something dynamic like last year's big girl bar. What is so neat about Chatham is that to fish it properly, you must adapt not only each season but sometimes several times a season. It looks nothing at all like the place Sean Fields and I used to fish as young teens, nor is it the place I fished with Bill Littlewood as young adults, nor will it be the place we all scored (and BIG) in the first Forum year... yet it IS the same place geographically.

That bar that formed to the south created some situations that I never exploited though I watched it happening from almost a mile upshore. It was one of the last days of the year for me, and I was on BGB. I had my new binocs with me and the birds started to buzz and whirl dow there. As the peanut bunker would be flushed out the south opening, a meelee would occur at the ocean facing side on the south end. Birds and pounding bass would froth the water. I felt like the BG express would stop by the station any moment so I opted to stay where I was, but also felt like I was giving up an opportunity to discover another dimension of the 2000 south beach layout. The shorter walk won

Can't wait to see what next year brings!
Old 03-06-2001, 09:16 PM

I'm up for an exploratory foray !!! It will change again by May anyway. I expect that the inlet will soon look like the bars and beaches that were 1.5 miles south of the Chatham Light 5 years ago. Picture nice deep water in between the bars and stripers standing on their heads slurping and rubbing sand eels out of the bottom !!

Bruce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.