Changing Backing ? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2001, 11:57 AM

Changing Backing ?

With the Malboro show a day away & no "big-ticket" Items on my shopping list, I've been thinking about what little things I need for SWFF-season-2K+1. The backing on my Tioga is now 2 seasons old; how often should you change your backing? Also, recommendations for type/brand?

I'm mainly looking forward to the Tying Demos & Seminars, as well as, a Social.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2001, 12:13 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Changing Backing ?

Most shops will not have their machines at the show. I wouldn't buy the individual spools for large reels like we use for stripers unless you are going to bring them into a shop with a machine later - in which case you could just wait. The wraps near the spindle will be set up much better, and although last year put us into the backing quite often I would still recommend against for tension and distribution of the backing on the spool.

Juro
Old 01-18-2001, 12:39 PM

Ya but how often? Right now my rule of thumb is NEVER! Ok, now that I'm into backing more with these big stripers I'll probably modify that a bit. But is it like the myth on changing your oil every 3000 miles? I change my oil every 8000. My last Engine ran to 180 and was still running perfectly when I sold it.
Some spin guys change mono every year or every bass tournamant. I've fished with 20 year old mono and found it to be either amazingly supple or dry. Whatever the case I've seen some really old backing out there. Doesn't that braided material last forever?

Terry
Old 01-18-2001, 01:12 PM

Having broken backing in the past, let me tell you -- replacing backing is a lot better and less costly than watching a $50. flyline swim away. Sun and salt will weaken backing after a few years and Ping! I fish very light tippets too, so that backing must have been pretty weak. sR
Old 01-18-2001, 02:21 PM

Every other year for me. That is like 2.50 a year. Not a big investment. I also lost a line and a big fish year before last because broken backing. One piece of advice. Get white. The dye on the yellow/chart. bleed on you line and your reel.
Old 01-18-2001, 02:29 PM

Juro good point about the machine. However, I got a Cortland Clear Intermediate for x-mass & I was going to put this on the extra cartridge of my Cortland CL-IV. I heard that you're better off putting backing onto a cartridge reel by hand because the machine tension can cause the cartridge to buldge out & malfunction?

As far as the existing backing goes, maybe I'll test it with a 20lb weight & let that make the decision for me.

Any other Ideas for odds-and-ends?
Old 01-19-2001, 08:39 AM

Change it every year & have a shop do it:
1. it's cheap
2. it's a good practice to clean the spindle/ inside of the spool once a year, especially if you fish the salt.
3. you'll be amazed at what you find in there; salt crystals (even though you wash your gear after every outing) & MASSIVE overwraps that could lose you a flyline & the fish of your life.

Roop
Old 01-19-2001, 05:41 PM

I think that if you have 30# dacron on there, it should be good for a long long time. Every one has a different story, so check it frequently(and frequently retie your knots) but I have seen a lot of perfectly good 10 year old backing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.