Cell Phones on the Cape - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2001, 11:51 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Cell Phones on the Cape

Yes this question does sort of pertain to fishing.

I am looking for a cell phone provider/carrier that has a cheap plan that will cover both Southern and Central New Hampshire as well as the Cape. I have the New Hampshire info licked.

Does anybody have experience using Verizon's SingleRate East plan on the Cape? If so, do you have decent coverage?

Thanks.

-Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2001, 09:59 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Cell Phones on the Cape

Mike -

I've got AT&T which comes in well on most of the cape except for parts of the outer beaches between Welfleet and P-town. Sorry can't help you with this one.

One thing I find handy is voicemail - if you're out of coverage you will get messages when you travel back into strong signal zones. Guess that wouldn't help in an emergency though.

I'm looking for a new carrier myself lately...
Old 03-04-2001, 11:57 AM

Doogue...I was in the Yarmouth/Sandwich/Harwich area three weeks ago and my little Startac with the Verizon Northeast area deal worked just fine...Summer months may be "saturated" but I had no problem phoning on/off Cape.
Cheers
Old 03-05-2001, 11:55 AM

There's Hope to the backside beach angler. Check out the article I got in my mailbox this AM. At first I thought is was a riot but maybe their onto something. If nothing else it may encourage the more affluent towns that try to keep towers out to change thier ways as the alternative could be living under the shadow of a low flying zepplin.

** Blimps And Wireless Access

You want to offer your customers wireless access, but you can't build a cellular tower in their area. What do you do? Send up a blimp, of course.

In order to provide wireless data and voice access to rural areas, Platforms Wireless International Corp. is putting transmitters supporting Time Division Multiple Access, Code Division Multiple Access, and Global System for Mobile Communications wireless technology into aerostat blimps that are tethered 1,500 feet above the earth. Each blimp can provide support for users up to 140 miles away, thanks to Platforms Wireless' Airborne Relay Communication system, which can also be installed in airplanes.

"It's not just a blimp payload delivery," insists Robert Perry, president of Platforms Wireless. "The platform is really incidental. It's a technology communication system."

For a mere $25 million or so, carriers can purchase all the ground infrastructure, the Aerostat, the payload, all the engineering designs, and the first year's maintenance costs. - Matthew G. Nelson
Old 03-07-2001, 02:40 PM

Just wondering why you want to bring a cell phone fishing with you?
Old 03-07-2001, 04:10 PM

That's an easy one.

To share the info and acomplish one of the following goals.

1. To put you or your fellow fanatics onto willing fish.

ie "hey man, how's it going at Hardings? I'm slayin' them here at Big Girl."

2. To mercilessly torture your fellow fanatics with outrageous reports while they are busy with work or the honey do list.

ie "hey man how's the bathroom retiling going? Your lucky your not here! My arms are killing me. I just landed my 3rd 36 incher and I've only made three casts. Oh! God! I gotta go, they're bustin right in front of me!"

Gregg
Old 03-07-2001, 04:24 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Yeah really, fishing is about getting away from them...

I'll admit that when we're in clave mode and spread out for an early discovery mission, the cell phone is a real asset for coordinating where the shore blitzing striper action is (or should I say 'was') and despite the potential annoyance of a ring at the wrong moment, we have led the collective whole to more promising waters with our phones. Another nice thing is to have it when you're out on Monomoy and want to make a change to another locale, calling Rip Ryder alerts them to your desires and gives you the rendezvous info you need to avoid long stops at the bus stop. But you don't need a phone because our sponsors from Monomoy Island Ferry use the long-range walkabouts and you can flag them down pretty easy if you have one handy. When I was running shore guiding trips, I always had a phone in the sealine backpack for emergencies as well.

The real reason??? "I'm just down the road dear, I should only be a few minutes"
Old 03-07-2001, 04:27 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Gregg,

You hit the nail on the head with your list of reasons to carry a cell phone while fishing. At this point I have yet to buy a cell phone and I find myself wanting one more and more. In terms of fishing, aside from the reasons that Gregg cited, I also find that cell phones are very handy when you want to rendezvous with friends. For example, I met Borkowski at Singing Beach on one October night late last season. Neither of us had ever been to Singing beach so we did not know where to meet up. As it turns out it was easy to find each other but we didn't know how easy it would be. The cell really helps out in situations where it is tricky to meet up with somebody.

I also like to be able to call my fiancee and tell her when I am going to be late. I find that it is easier to justify frequent weekend fishing excursions when there is no disrespect associated with my behavior. If I can call her then I feel better about staying for a few hours longer than expected and partaking in some unexpected or poorly timed blitz action.

Those are my reasons...I do not expect to carry a phone while I am on the water...unless perhaps if I am wading an unknown flat. Then I might carry it for safety reasons. You can always turn the phone off if you do not want to be bothered by the ringing.

-Mike
Old 03-07-2001, 04:38 PM

I like Greggs reasons best. But if I was one of Greggs best fishing buddies I'd make sure my cell phone was off when Greggs fishing and I'm doing the honey do list. If Gregg called telling me about sore arms I'd get nothing done because I'd be on the flats in no time and the honey do would become "Honey your all done, you can move out tomorrow"!
Signed
Single and content.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.