buzzards bay/westend weekend rpt - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2001, 08:07 AM

buzzards bay/westend weekend rpt

Hit the west end of the canal and surrounding Buzzards Bay area Friday and Saturday. Fish were tight to the shoreline for the most part in rocky structure where the water was closer to 60 degrees--still low to mid-fifties in a lot ofthe open water areas.
Some pretty nice fish up to high 20s", and some blues in the mix out in the bay, but they were moving pretty fast with the wind.

Water clarity is fantastic, but it is still a little slow from my previous experiences down there this time of year, at least a week behind. The bait has not scattered out yet, in fact I saw few to any signs of bait at all, and no birds, but fortunately the fish were still there.

Had two flyishing friends from out of town who had never caught stripers and simply had a ball. One also took his first blue on the fly and was simply amazed by the fight, the other hooked into the only really big fish of the weekend, but got wrapped up in the line and popped the 16# tippet. Lots of nice midsized for each, and they both had the doublehaul down by the end of the day. Not bad for a couple of trout guys. Myself, I had a ball watching these guys' reactions and squeeked in a few for myself.

Bigger herring patterns worked better for the bass, the blues were liking clousers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2001, 08:33 AM

Jeff,

Nice report! I should add that my dad caught his first few Schoolies from shore & from his Yak in the Upper B-Bay Estuaries the middle of last week. So, all is well in Striper-Land.
Old 05-14-2001, 10:35 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thanks Jeff -

I noticed the glacier green clarity heading over the bridge. In fact I could see all kinds of structure even from that height. It must have been a great day on the water!

One thing I find interesting - the fish are in solid at PI, and out at Chatham, yet this year the early B-bay thing didn't seem to happen. Not surprised, nothing surprises me any more - just not exactly typical if I remember correctly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.