Big Girl Bar and environs - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-11-2001, 03:44 PM

Big Girl Bar and environs

This weekend I spent the afternoon exploring Chatham and Nauset to first see what the effects of the late winter storms had on the coastal structure that blessed us so nicely last summer. The minus tide didn't hurt either at it opened up some of the quohag beds in Stage Harbor and I came home with a 1/4 bushel of littlenecks, yum!

Big Girl
No doubt that things have changed considerably this winter. The section of the inlet to the north ( towards the boat channel ) has really shoaled over. There was whitewater everywhere across the opening even at half-tide. The big sand 'bar' still exposes in the center and diverts flow along the S.Beach spit. It does appear that the outer bar that was 100+ yds from the point has been forced closer. We might even find that it's accessible by foot this year?? It will depend on how much the flow diverts to the south when it hits the point of the spit. Could really shoal up in there.??

Nauset really took a hit this spring. From the last highlands (Priscilla Ln) you can see where the dunes were overwashed many times and now are much lower than last summer. Vehicle access from the south to the Nauset inlet might be difficult this season for the lucky ones with resident access. The good news is that there appears to be an incredible "hole" that has been reborn around the old 'gorilla hole' location. This should be well worth the hike from the parking lot once the fish move along the outer beaches.

Felt great to be back in the waders and walking the beach, even if it was with a clam rake instead of a flyrod... ; )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2001, 05:37 PM

Hey Bob,

Sounds like it will be a lot of fun figuring the "new" water out!

Do you need some kind of permit for the clam digging - actually I'm sure you do. My real question is where do you get them and for how much?

Thanks

Gregg
Old 04-11-2001, 05:50 PM
President of CAC

Bob, I was down this weekend also and agree with what you saw ,both at big girl and Nauset. I with my oldest son ,who was excited about the nauset conditions which he felt would open a whole new world for surfing.
Old 04-11-2001, 07:18 PM
Here fishy fishy

I'm going to be in Chatham all next weekend. Worth bringing a rod? May risk my wife's wrath... That notwithstanding, any thoughts on whether it's worth it?
Old 04-11-2001, 08:19 PM
President of CAC

Tod, bring your trout rod and hit School House pond and Goose Pond.. They are right off rt.28. I think Sam Ryder road.. the dump road.
Old 04-11-2001, 08:43 PM

Chatham has a non-resident permit ( $60.00 )that allows you to dig any day of the week with a weekly limit to what you harvest. (Memory says a 1/2 basket each of quohogs and steamers ). The only catch is that they will occasionaly close off certain areas and there are temperature limits so that you don't dig seed stock up and freeze them during the winter. The permit season renews this May so it's a good time to look into it IF you plan on being there frequently.
Those diggers don't go out to Monomoy every day for the fun of it. There's some fine clammin' to be done out there!
FWIW you should also know they take this very seriously and you will get to meet one of the local shellfish wardens if you don't have your permit displayed or they suspect you are harvesting shorts......
Old 04-12-2001, 06:17 PM

Thanks Bob. I think I'll be giving it a go this year.

Gregg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.