Belated Thanks - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2001, 10:00 PM
Just Plain Nuts

Belated Thanks

First I'll say hello. I've been reading Fly Talk for about 5 months. Not only do I find the conversation interesting, but the people even more interesting. I have to thank striblue for turning me on to this sight. But I need to thank John for all his help. Last August I brought the family up from Conn. for the 2 week family vacation. I spent the first 3 days fishing bait at Chatham Light. I met John and he told me to bring the fly rod. Well I spent the next week or so casting flys at the seals. No luck. But it was OK. The company was good and it sure beats work. On the 2nd to last day of my vacation, I hooked into a 30 inch bass. It was my largest bass ever on a fly rod. I don't know who was happier, me or John. I worked hard for that fish. I think he worked even harder. So my special public thanks to striblue. You helped make a novice Conn. fly fishermans vacation some thing I'll remember for a long time. And if the rest of you guys are anything like John.... Well then I'm in good company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2001, 10:25 PM
i'm so outta here

RE:Belated Thanks

Welcome to our (somewhat dysfunctional) family, Jimmy. I second your characterization. John is an awesome person and a great fisherman. Hope we all get to hit the bars of Chatham this summer.

Al
Old 01-26-2001, 11:00 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Jimmy -

Thoroughly enjoyed hearing about your accomplishment on the fly! John's enthusiasm is contagious and so is your sense of discovery. I'd like to think we all share John's high spirits and love of fishing. Let's make it a point to continue the adventure when this frozen stuff melts away.

best regards and welcome,

Juro
Old 01-26-2001, 11:41 PM
President of CAC

Jim, I got your e-mail and have responded.. what took you so long to register on the board... I know, like everyone, you got to check things out first.. well welcome. After reading your message about the fish I do remember that you are the fireman from Connecticut who finally dropped the bait rod. This group of people on the board make flyfishing more than just casting and catching and the knowledged shared will take years off your learning this great sport... remember you can not have enough rods and reels and that could be a problem I think....NAH! before you know it you will take up fly tying which I did because of my meetinh this crew.. a few lessons and I am now possessed as quoted by one member. As I say make sure you let me know when you are in Chatham this summer and we will hook up and you can meet some of the other members of this infamous crew.We hope to have more rip trips and stalk North Monomoy and south beach.
Old 01-27-2001, 09:14 PM
Just Plain Nuts

Hey guys. Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll be in the Cape from July 28th to August 18th. Three weeks this year!!! That means more time for fishing. It also means more time with the family.But thats OK. The only thing more important than fishing, is family. If there are any Monomoy trips or rip trips planed around that time just let me know. I'll do my best to be there. In the mean time, I'll be tying some flys, reading FFF and asking alot of questions.

1st question... What's a Clave?
Old 01-27-2001, 11:45 PM
President of CAC

Jim,we used to have a definition here on this site, but I think it stands for conclave, i.e. a group of people getting together for a particular purpose.. meeting.. Cardinals conclave to elect a Pope... something like that.
Old 01-28-2001, 06:30 PM
Just Plain Nuts

John,
That's what I thought it was but I just wanted to be sure.
Old 01-28-2001, 10:06 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Jimmy -

It's an adaptation of the formal term Conclave once used (as John says) for a gathering of bishops to elect a Pope or something to that effect. "Clave" for short. The term has been used frequently to refer to a gathering of sports enthusiasts for an event that is more than a casual or coincidental gathering. All kinds of enthusiast groups tend to use this term. The number of people and duration depends on the venue, there are no set rules per se.

We usually associate a clave with a certain area, opportunity, or challenge we have a common interest in experiencing.

The clave calendar for a typical year might look like:

Early Winter:

Stony Brook Tying Clave (Jan)
Indoor casting clave (Feb)
Rod Building Workshop (Feb)
Lake Ontario clave (March - TBD)

Spring:

Native Steelhead Clave (April - Pacific Northwest Region)
Spring schoolie clave (May - South Cape)
Brewster Flats Clave (Late May)
(others TBD)

Summer:

Monomoy Flats Clave (June - Monomoy)
Tip Rip Clave (July - Point Rip)
BoneClave
(others TBD)

Fall:

Big Girl Bar (frequent)
North Shore
Greaseliner's clave (Pacific northwest)
RhodyFest (Rhode Island)
Carolina Clave (TBD)

Or something like that. It's getting pretty clear that one needs to pick the claves they can squeeze in throughout the year. No one can make all of them, certainly not I! But a good mix can make it each time and they're an incredible amount of fun.

Take a look at "Chronicles" where I will put all the journals over time and keep an eye out on flytalk, where we always kick-off a conclave idea.

regards,

Juro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.