Backside Beaches HOT - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2001, 03:23 PM
admin

Backside Beaches HOT

Check out Nauset Angler's fresh fishing reports at nausetangler.com - the back beaches are crankin' with stripers and even a few blues at the inlet. He'll be keeping those reports current all season and it's your best bet for the ocean beaches.

This bodes well for our clave as well, we have 5 Nauset oversand stickers between the clave goers and with Randy Jone's observations on the outside beach at SB there should be fish in Chatham Inlet, Pleasant Bay as well on the inside.

As we lay out our attack plan options those who are interested in trying the back beaches can gang up with those who have oversand access.

Others include Brewster Flats, Rip Ryder to SB and Monomoy, southside river mouths, just to name a few. Roop is putting together the master plan, look for the details over the next couple of days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2001, 04:32 PM
Middle Aged Member

Haven't really flyfished the surf yet, so I'm looking forward to South Beach, Nauset, etc. this weekend. Question: Whats the preferred line for the surf? I have Int's and a 325 QD. I've been thinking about picking up a full sink, fast or extra fast (per Cortland nomanclature). Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Fred A.
Old 05-15-2001, 07:02 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Fred -

I'd say you're all set - even though the full sink is nice because it let's you cast a more natural line form but with the acceleration from smaller diameter / high grains. This means aerializing more line which lets you work the slack line into the cast instead of shooting so much. It slices into the waves a little deeper than an int running line which can be good or bad depending on whether there is a strong crosscurrent or just big waves. They are usually dark colored which might be a concern to you or not.

IMHO the difference between the sinkhead (QD, deepsea, depth charge, teeny, etc) and the fullsink in terms of fishing don't justify a third spool for me, so it's one or the other based on casting preference. When my QD cracked to pieces I used the full sink for a while and loved it.

Last point - the short compact heads are better for boats and high tight banks if you ask me. Less time flinging flies over your buddies head or dragging the point off the hook in the sand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.