AirFlo Line - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2001, 10:46 AM

AirFlo Line

striblue the name of the AirFlo line is called Depth Finder Fly Line DF-400. It sure worked well with your Winston rod. I think you can purchase them on line . www.flylines.com. Great to see you at the clave and hope to fish you on one of the trips. FishHawk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2001, 11:34 AM
President of CAC

RE:AirFlo Line

Thanks for the info ,Fishhawk, it is a great line.. the problem is that I need to buy a bunch of them since I only use shooting head type lines.. Don't forget where I am in Chatham and We will make plans to hook up with Art too... tell him to keep practicing the Bimini.
Old 04-01-2001, 06:22 PM

John,
Just acouple of points about the AF DF400 line. JeffS had one last spring and liked it very much. I tried casting it on his Sage RPLX 10 wt. I was really impressed and put his reel on my St Croix 9 wt SC IV. I loved the line. It cast extremely well and the running line was pretty much tangle free. Jeff didn't like it on the 9 wt - he felt it overloaded it and needed a lighter line (say a 300 grain).

A week or two later we were fishing in the CCA SS Chapter One Fly Tourney. Jeff's AF DF400 line had the coating start to separate from the core. At a location on about 4" from the juncture of the head to running line a section of about 6" peeled off. Later in the day we talked to AdamA. He had his DF line do the same thing. The core in fact broke. Evidently there were lots of guys who used them on the SS and had similar problems.
I have used the AF DI7 shooting head with good success. It is extremely small diameter and sinks about as fast as lead core.
Good luck with your new line - from the dizzying array which are available.
Old 04-01-2001, 08:46 PM
President of CAC

Mike, I just reponded to you by e-mail since for some reason I am having a hard time posting a reply... so this is a test.
Old 04-01-2001, 09:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd

have any of you guys tried the air-flo mutitip lines? expensive to buy, but cheaper than a batch of seperate lines. however, no bargain if it doesn't measure up. Tom D
Old 04-02-2001, 04:28 AM

Good tip Mike. We'll keep an eye on this and let you know if we have had any problems. Maybe it was a bad lot. My friend use the line all last year without any problems. At any rate they are a good company and will replace the line if it should have a problem. Thanks again.
FishHawk
Old 04-02-2001, 08:23 PM

Tom, I use the AirFlo multi-tip on a 10wt and I like it a lot. Changing tips is no big deal as long as you leave the leader on them. I usually run it with the sink sink tip since I got a full clear. When I first got the line I'd had it about 3 weeks and left the clear tip rigged up in the car. It got a nasty kink forged into it by the late June sun blasting in the car window. When I called contacted AF to try to buy another tip, admiting I'd screwed up, they just sent me out a new one n/c.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.