Fly Fishing Forum banner

advice needed re: Florida Keys

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  PeteGray 
#1 ·
I'm going down to the Keys at the end of this month and would be very grateful if someone could give me a few pointers as to where I could get some good tarpon, bonefish or barracuda action. This will be a first for me as I have never fished for those before. Nor have I ever been on the Keys. Can I just wade on the flats, should I rent my own boat or is a guide essential? Where is a good area to try? I'll be staying on Marathon. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#3 ·
I've fished under the causway Rt1 bridges and caught Tarpon on light spin gear using Mirro-lures and even landed a few on a 10 wt from the shore near Bud'nMary's...Call local shops for information and invest in a guide (for at LEAST one day) to learn from those who know the what where how when etc...It's alot easier than wasting your valuable time trying to invent a wheel that already exists. After you are exposed to the "program" you will be better able to fend for yourself...but the "education" will pay of in the long run and you won't regret the experience. Woulda'Coulda'Shoulda' Don't forget the polarized sun glasses and SPF-30! and have a great time!!!
Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.