5/8 Plum Island - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2001, 08:59 AM
Recent Member

5/8 Plum Island

Hit the mouth of the Merrimack 4:45-7AM. Met up with Eroach and fished various patterns without a pickup. Spin guys with soft plastics were doing OK. Watched a guy catch and keep a just legal. Had a 3-4' long wrist thick eel swim right up to me in knee deep water. When in shorts it's kind of creepy.

Norm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2001, 10:35 AM

Hey Norm,

Nothing after you left; couple of more spin guys got some despite the brillant sunshine.

I'm going to guess these non-schooling stripers are not cruising but set up in ambush behind the washboard-like sand structure on the bottom. Careful probing with a heavy fly on a wet fly swing is my plan of attack for tomorrow. Swing and sidestep, swing and sidestep -- bottom bouncing with my whiterabbit sluggo. I might as well try this until Plum Island gets so congested with anglers that I can't move downstream! Inevitable.
Old 05-08-2001, 01:27 PM
Recent Member

Eric,

If the NWR gate still automatically opens at 5:15AM I'll probably head down the south end and fish the rocks on the beachfront at Sandy Point. If not I'll be back at the river.

Norm
Old 05-08-2001, 01:40 PM

Hey guys,
I hit the outgoing @ 5pm last night and did very well with a sink tip and small clouser pattern. The water is very murky and had a blast with 3 10-20 inch schoolies.
Think bright.
Brian Zinck
Old 05-08-2001, 02:56 PM

Congrats' Zinck! That's great news!

Going again this week?
Old 05-08-2001, 03:22 PM
Striper hound

Great to see the stripahz made it to the north shore before mid-May! Things can't be as bad as they seemed afterall. I'll see you guys up there, wear your hat and I'll introduce myself!
Old 05-08-2001, 08:00 PM

Eric,
Not any time due to work this week.
My buddy Jeff Knott and I are heading down to the Cape on Sun. early a.m. Are you guys working with the boat?
Good luck for the rest of the week in the early a.m. I'll be thinking of you guys while I am pre-oping patients!
Zinck
Old 05-08-2001, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Bri-RN (05-08-2001 09:00 p.m.):
Eric,
I'll be thinking of you guys while I am pre-oping patients!
Zinck
Not a very comforting thought.
Old 05-09-2001, 08:33 AM
Recent Member

Hit PI point again this morning, zero. Didn't see a fish caught while there. Eric paid the ultimate heavy weight clouser casting penalty. Ran into a couple other fly guys on the way out, nothing for them.
Took a run down the south side of the refuge to take a few casts amongst the rocks but nothing doing there either.

Norm
Old 05-09-2001, 09:14 AM
Striper hound

Sounds like scout stripers alright... here today gone tomorrow, sometime gone today! Thanks for the reports they are greatly appreciated

note: 7:35am low on this day, -.8 @ mouth
Old 05-09-2001, 11:13 AM

As Norm said, paid the price for casting (heaving) a 1/0 clouser-bunny (wrapped with 9" of .035 lead) -- slammed approx 3/4 oz into the tip of my ten weight on an errant forward cast, broke the tip at that spot 15 minutes later. I would have loved to have said that I broke it on a fish rather than poor casting. It's funny how dear our equipment is to us; hell, I would have rather have hit the back of my head...maybe.

The bright side: I've convinced myself I need a Sage RPLXi 5 piece ten weight to replace it. Ahh, the games we play when it involves fishing equipment.

Zinck -- No solid plans this weekend with the boat, next weekend we're going out I believe.
Old 05-09-2001, 09:33 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I seem to be able to get away with a 325 on my RPLXi 9wt and in the dark currents I fish a fly with small non-toxic eyes when I want to present a sand eel, no additional weighting. I'll often cast it slightly upstream, throw a huge mend and count it down before starting a series of "I am alive" jolts while keeping it down in the column, not drawing much line per jolt. This presentation works well up in the hole near the bottom of the tide, and down in the flat above the bar as well. Occasionally when the fish come in behind the bar, they will jump on the fly there too.

Sometimes it's a fly's profile or materials that keep it away from the bottom, so I will often change the fly design if I want it to penetrate the depths. Also, replacing bucktail with synthetics helps because bucktail is hollow and bouyant.

Skinny profile flies cut into the currents better than wide profiles, obviously. Luckily the striper loves the sand eel. If you ask me, that's the sand eel is the flyfisherman's lucky break!
Old 05-10-2001, 06:36 AM

At least you have that extra rod, which you thought that you would never need Eric. Sorry to hear of the frustrating morning. Roop told me to look into the new XL series of this year by T&T. It is reasonably priced and I Love it's action for my casting style.
Give it some thought and put the money saved into a nice reel to compliment the package.
Zinck
Old 05-10-2001, 02:34 PM

Bri-Rn,

Too late, picked up the RPLXi yesterday. I Gave my business to Eldredge Brothers in Cape Neddick, ME -- Good group of conservation-minded guys.

Love it, excellent rod. The other St. Croix Legend Ultra I sold to Marc D's Dad.

Had to test it it soooo...I fished the Ogunquit and the Mousam rivers. No stripers but a bunch of Shad. Lots of fun.
Old 05-10-2001, 02:39 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Awesome rod! Did you go with the 5pc or the 3pc?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.