5-5: Seen in my travels... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2001, 07:37 AM
Recent Member

5-5: Seen in my travels...

This was the breakthrough weekend for (bigger) stripers and even bluefish arrivals. But no one told the schoolies ;-).

Anywho, caught several 28-33 inch stripers at the Canal, a bunch of just under 28 inchers, and have heard reports of slightly bigger ones already on the CC bay flats taken on the fly. They are "rounding the corner."

On the Cape south side I couldn't buy a schoolie from shore, but eating sized blues were plentiful at the spots I was fishing (not flats but channels). Problem was I had to get down deep in a hole and even my extra-fast sinker wouldn't do it in the current. They wanted something squid-like and low. Switched to bucktail jigs without wire and was immediately cut off twice. Other guys better equipped were doing well on 3-5 lbers.

I'm sure by now the south side flats are crawling with them.

-bd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2001, 08:33 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Great news Bill! I've heard more reports of the bayside flats as well - but that north wind kept me off the afternoon low despite big tides. I'll bet Steve Moore is planning his bayside revenge as we speak!
Old 05-07-2001, 08:58 AM

I was on tyhe southside yesterday. Despite thew winds it was an incredible day with thousands of blues everywhere and some nice bass thrown in for good measure. Things really opened up yesterday and I was glad I there to see it happen. Bayside flats excursions will start in a week or two.
Old 05-07-2001, 09:32 AM
Striper hound

WOW! Suddenly... I am starting to feel... really... ill... >cough<.... >wheeze<.... need to stay home...
Old 05-07-2001, 12:16 PM
Recent Member

Quote:
linesides (05-07-2001 10:32 a.m.):
WOW! Suddenly... I am starting to feel... really... ill... >cough<.... >wheeze<.... need to stay home...
Yeah, I think I may have a serious fever by tomorrow ;-)

-bd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.