2001 and first salt experience - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2000, 05:24 PM

2001 and first salt experience

Well, it looks like I've pinned down a weekend at the end of May to fish the salt and, hopefully, meet some of you fellows. I know it's early but with a job, wife, and three kids if I don't plan early I don't get to fish!
I'll be driving downt to Cape Cod or thereabouts on Friday, May 25 and will have the whole of Saturday and Sunday (May 26 and 27) to fish. Leaving Monday. Just thought you guys should know in case you feel pity for this freshwater fly flinger, and want to show me how it's done.

In the meantime, everyone have a great Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2000, 09:58 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:2001 and first salt experience

Luis -

Very glad to hear your plans! Consider it a definite that I will meet with you. The spring stripers are bright, feisty, and willing. There should be trouble in seeing what sweetwater doesn't have, with all that it does have going for it there's a certain raw predatory excitement to the regional fishery.

Don't worry about rods and reels if it's any trouble to bring them, I will have a spare Sage 9wt w/ Lamson LP4 ready for action. We also need to present you with a peculiar device made by Rubbermaid - a dishpan affixed to your waist with a nylon web belt to hold the line you retrieve and to keep the shooting line out of harms way. You're covered there too.

As far as waders and shoes, the traditionally stout river shoes are fine for some places but if there are long walks on soft sand dunes they will be a burden. If you have a shoe size of 9-11 I can offer the use of neoprene flats boots to you if you have stocking foot waders; or depending on your height you could use one of my three extra waders in the medium large category (guiding loaners).

There is a distinct possibility we will chase them by sea, in which case the waders are not a concern.

In any case, it will be a fitting kick-off conclave for the 2001 striper season and I really look forward to your arrival in May.

Can't wait!

Juro
Old 12-22-2000, 06:55 AM

Hi Juro:
thank you so much for your kind offer. As far as gear is concerned I have a 7, 8 or 9 weight rod and an Abel 2. Would that work? What kind of line does one need with that (intermediate, full sink?).
I wear 11 or 12 boots, so I'll see if I can get flat shoes from somewhere. The waders I have are the Simms stockingfoot breathables. I'm excited already even though we're 5 months away...
Old 12-22-2000, 08:15 AM
i'm so outta here

Luis,

I take a size 11 and will most likely have an extra pair of flats botties by then. An intermediate line will cover roughly 80% of your coastal experiences. A full sink (type VI or above) is critical if we venture out to Big Girl Bar.

My 14' skiff is at your disposal.

How are you set for accomodations? We have room for one or two on the pull out bed and would enjoy your company if you need a place to stay. We live about 30 minutes from prime striper waters.

Looking forward to seeing you!

Al
Old 12-22-2000, 10:12 AM

Al!
Wow!... you guys are incredibly generous. My next question was going to be where to find cheap accommodations 8-)
Thank you so much. I guess I'll be asking all sorts of questions throughout the winter. Here's the first one. What do you guys drink?
Old 12-22-2000, 10:24 AM

Lodging in May should not be too bad, check out this web-site

<a href="http://www.usa-lodging.com/motels/massachusetts/" target="_blank"><!--auto-->http://www.usa-lodging.com/motels/massachusetts/</a><!--auto-->

Then click on Towns like: Chatham, Dennis, Yarmouth, etc.

As far as gear goes, many of us have extra rods, reels, lines, waders, striping baskets, etc. We should also get you set up with some Staple Flies.

I have no Idea about work or family obligations for that particular weekend (this far in advance), but my boat should be in the water by then.
Old 12-22-2000, 11:55 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Luis -

We'll figure out where you can get rest between sortie's to striper blitzes. Will you be with your family or alone?

Juro
Old 12-22-2000, 12:11 PM

&gt;We'll figure out where you can get rest between sortie's
&gt;to striper blitzes. Will you be with your family or alone?

Ohhh, I'll be alone. This is my biggest outing of the year. A weekend in the salt and then back through New York State and NEC VIII. From stripers to browns 8-)
Old 12-22-2000, 01:36 PM

I would be more than happy to offer accomodations.

It could be the Luis Clave!

Roop
Old 12-22-2000, 07:43 PM
President of CAC

My place will be open April first and I will probably be down that weekend.. So, my offer is open also( Not selling yet..holding on to dear life)
Old 01-03-2001, 07:57 AM

Luis

I'll also be a first timer 'salter' this May and although I'll be further south than you I just wanted to echo the sentiments you expressed about the help these guys give you. I'm coming across from Scotland and have loads of trout experience but nothing in the salt. They have helped so much it's amazing. I've had flies sent over the Atlantic, magazine articles mailed to me and loads of info.

I aint gonna meet the 'clavers' this year but I have high hopes for 2002. If you're interested in fly fishing in Scotland and how we go about winkling oot the troot, let me know.

Phil
Old 01-03-2001, 11:10 AM
i'm so outta here

<blockquote><hr>winkling oot the troot<hr></blockquote>

Scottish has always been my favorite foreign language

<font size="1">&lt;haeld yar wheesht, ya laggard&gt;</font><!--1-->
Old 01-03-2001, 11:25 AM

&gt;I aint gonna meet the 'clavers' this year but I have high &gt;hopes for 2002. If you're interested in fly fishing in &gt;Scotland and how we go about winkling oot the troot, let me &gt;know.
&gt;
&gt;Phil

Muchas gracias Phil. One of these years... one of these years. So many places to fish and so little time
Old 01-04-2001, 08:23 AM

Al_D

Gee Al, that's a coincidence.......Americain is wunna mine!!!

Phil

PS How do you put the wee smiley faces in replies??
Old 01-04-2001, 08:28 AM

Phil -

For the faces just type a semicolon or colon then a dash then a right or left bracket. (actually I don't think they are called brackets but they are the symbols above the 9 and 0 respectively.)

Gregg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.