R H O D Y F E S T - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2000, 08:07 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

R H O D Y F E S T

Since Jeff's jamboree takes the place of (or consolidates) the Outer Limits clave, old man winter is racing toward the region, large hungry fish are migrating south, and <pick your own rationalizations here> there is no reason why we can not keep the Rhodyfest tradition alive in 2000. Anyway - nuptial bliss is over-rated and marriages can heal over the non-fishing months to come.

I am going to be visiting British Columbia for steelhead in October sometime and Art Burton, our resident Rhody statesman, needs us to provide firm dates to plan some special arrangements he may be able to provide for the clave crew.

So, let's open the floor for discussion.

<font color="0000ff">I've fished the breachways in November with great success before. Heck, there were even blues in the surf. The part of the day that was comfortable was so short that it makes no sense - but I just wanted to mention that to say it's not too late even if it goes to Halloween.

If we camp at Burlingame the sooner the better, it gets cold quick. I would probably bite the bullet and grab a cheap motel in Westerly.

To make it worthwhile, an overnight would be ideal - but the drive is only slightly more than the Cape for me and a day trip wouldn't be out of the question.

I plan this to be the final clave of 2000, a farewell to an incredible season, a last bite of dessert before ending the feast, a time to look over the water and feel good about what was and what will be in 2001.

I hope we can work out arrangements to include as many of the great faces in this community as possible.</font><!--color-->

Then it will be time to catch up on all the backlogged photo journals since May... Aye caruma! (just wait till you see the photos, AWESOME)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2000, 09:34 PM

RE:R H O D Y F E S T

juro,
I've fished the s.county coast until early december in years past with good success. (Last year notwithstanding!) I agree that the earlier the better but it doesn't have to be over then either.

ps: check your e.mail and call me
pps: I'm tieing deep sandeels.
Old 09-26-2000, 09:45 PM

Just a reminder from last year's Rhode Island Octoberfest... <!--http--><a href="http://216.71.206.188/rhodyfest/rhodyjournal.htm" target="_blank"> CLICK HERE </a><!--url-->.

Bob -

Will do - I'll talk to you soon,

Juro

BTW - is it the weekend yet?
Old 09-27-2000, 09:41 AM

All,

I was kind of thinking 10/21 - 10/22, what do other people think of this date? I think sooner may be better then later. It was not a very warm summer & I think we are already seeing the early signs of migration (based on NH, PI & Haba recent reports). Well I've thrown out a date, if there's enough interest, let's call Burlingame & reserve some cabins!
Old 09-27-2000, 09:51 AM

I'm with Greg on this one. Oct. 21-22. Last years Rhodyfest saw fishing on the slow side. If not for the Weakaslabog Blitz and the schoolies in Watch Hill harbor we would have had nill. I say earlier in this cold year. But then again, I've been wrong before.....

Terry
Old 09-27-2000, 01:03 PM

Well Terry I would agree but...

The beachfront between Watch Hill and Napatree produced a big blue and a big bass for Jim and Skip, so they were cruising the stretch. Also, I watched a guy drag a 30+ pounder from Napatree Point the day we stopped and played with the schoolies at the cove. He said they were hitting poppers like gangbusters from daybreak to 9am all around the rocks at the end when he kept the big cow and walked back to the lot. He also says he lost a *really* big one... but settled for the one he landed. I can only imagine. If I had been there with a big pogie pattern, or slid a south rip eel in the tideflow, or threw a huge calamari foam banger in the chop or...

Let's just say I would do things differently today.

GregO lost a big bass on the Weakapaug jetty the night before and a few were caught that night.
Old 09-27-2000, 02:10 PM

My vote is for the weekend of October 21 & 22. Last years Rhody fest was the first clave I attended and I enjoyed every minute, although carrying that big fish to the car was tough. None of that bait fishing this year, I have been converted. I'll most likely be camping at the state park down there Fri the 20th - Sun the 22nd. I really enjoy the camping aspect of the claves so barring white stuff I'll be camping, if this works out for a central meeting/eating place great, if we decide to go the Restaurant route that works too.
Old 09-27-2000, 02:15 PM

&gt;&gt;GregO lost a big bass on the Weakapaug jetty the night before and a few were caught that night.

I actually didn't loose a big one the first night; the guy 2 rocks over from me hooked & landed a 47" MONSTER!!

I concur that the fishing was memorable last year, but this year may be different. I think that the fall push may be earlier than last year, but I'm no expert.

Why don't we just put the candidates out there:
date: AM-High
10/21 03:43
10/28 09:40 -- new moon
11/04 02:00
11/11 07:35
Old 09-27-2000, 02:21 PM

10/28-10/29 looks pretty temping. Best tides & moon, Plus we gain an hour of fishing, I mean sleep.

People with kids may have a problem with Halloween weekend though?
Old 09-27-2000, 03:09 PM

Ok I forgot about these 2. Funny both Chuck and Jim have been heard from today. And, it's not fair to count fish caught from non-clavers! I still hold that it was a bit slow compared to the typical clave. Considering that we had groups spread out on all the breachways from Charlestown to Napetree talking by cell phone, not a lot was happening. But maybe I need a sports psychologist, ya know, glass half full stuff. I still think I'm a realist. Anyway, in a cold year it's folly to push it into Nov.
Old 09-27-2000, 03:28 PM
i'm so outta here

With the Fall season, it's hit or miss. I'm not 100% convinced we are actually looking at an early migration. I like the tides and the new moon of the 28th, but Greg's point about Halloween is well taken. My own three year old would put me in a world of sh%t for missing him in his Captain Hook costume. I guess I have to reluctantly vote for the 21st

Terry - Jim and Chuck were most definitely members of the clave. They were in the pop up camper right next to you at Burlingame. Aside from that, they are key figures at the company that hosts our clave signup database, so watch what you say, ok, buddy
Old 09-27-2000, 03:37 PM

Al - I don't think Terry was referring to Jim & Chuck as the non-clavers. I think he was referring to the fact that Juro sited "other were catching too" should not count towards clave success.

I thought the fishing was memorable. However, I was 1 fish away from a skunk. But, on the other hand, it was my first clave & I was very inexperieced with the fly rod at that time.

BTW: I must have hit some button or something. Every time this thread gets replied to I get an automatic email from the board. HOW DO I MAKE IT STOP????????
Old 09-27-2000, 04:15 PM

First of all I took no offense at Terry's statement. I think Terry was refering to the "A guy took a fish 5' long off a jetty with live eels" and "There was a 45lb fish caught at Napatree this morning" type of statements.
Greg, your doomed to receive emails until this thread dies. I made the mistake of checking that box on the Monomoy-I post. At least you'll be up to date.
Old 09-27-2000, 05:08 PM

Jim,
Thanks for the great news. Whoops I just generated an automatic email, D'OH!
Old 09-27-2000, 06:48 PM
_

10/21 - 10/22 works for me. People have mentioned the following weekend, but what about the prior weekend (10/14 - 10/15)???? I reviewed some of the earlier posts and didn't see anything that would exclude that weekend. Did I miss something?

Anyway, I think the 21st - 22nd would be the "same" weekend as last year's Rhodyfest. I took a ride down to the same spots the following weekend last year (Halloween weekend) and the only action I found was with a few schoolies and LOTS of shad in the Charlestown breachway. In my limited experience, an abundance of shad seems to indicate that the migration is just about over (or just beginning!). Of course, what happened last year has little to do with what may happen this year.

Quentin

P.S. - Grego,

Can't you just modify your post and unclick the "notify by email" box? Or maybe even delete the message completely and repost it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.