North Shore Round 3 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2000, 07:42 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
North Shore Round 3

Well I went back to the beaches again this morning. I arrived around 6:00 to see some people already in the water. I suited up and headed in. We caught fish until around 6:30 and then it slowed down dramatically. I caught one more fish, the biggest of the morning (around 23-25") then nothing else. I left at 8:00 again. I am not sure why (tide, sun, bait), but the bass never really made a second push. Norm showed up about the time that I caught my last fish and the two of us went fishless for the next hour. As I was getting ready to leave, I bumped into Terry who said that he had some luck over on the other beach. Beautiful morning with the full moon, still water in the cove, and the daylight beginning to show on the horizon. If this has to be my last time out this year, it was a good one.

nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2000, 08:25 AM
BB5 Survivor

RE:North Shore Round 3

nick --

i was there, sorry i missed saying hi...fishing was actually much better until the moonset and then it slowed...my last fish was blind in one eye -- but he seemed perfectly healthy despite it! Lots of short strikes, and the takes were all VERY subtle...am guessing because of the cold temps.

nothing better than a little fresh striper thumb to start the day!

-jared
Old 10-13-2000, 08:37 AM
Shark Bait

Jared (and Greg0),
Sorry about the email message (if you got it). I got the message late last night and was on my cell phone so I didn't really want to type in the directions with the keypad! Well, sounds like you made it there, so I guess it doesn't really matter. Where were you standing? Were you at the beaches or on the rocks?
nick
Old 10-13-2000, 08:47 AM
BB5 Survivor

nick --

yellow jacket, green chest pack, tan hat....was fishing along the right edge (looking out).

jared
Old 10-13-2000, 08:51 AM

Nick,
Good to hear that there's still fish around. I may bag the Cape run this weekend & just may a quick N. Shore Dawn assault, so I can get home & get some stuff done around the house before the RI-Clave. I'll call you later; was that a work or home number?

Mr. Morin, are you going up Sat. AM?
Old 10-13-2000, 09:01 AM

Slower today. I was the only one at the point in the cove. Nada. Moved down to Black Beach. All alone there, gulls working flying around in the full moonlight, weird. Caught a couple schoolies, wow the splashing in the moon was awesome. Went back to the point for another try, nada again. Back to White Beach, met Norm and Nick. There were some chowed up juvis laying around from a presumed melee last night. I think the dead low tide had an impact. I believe higher water is needed. Still pogies in Manchester Harbor.
I'm going to scope out Nahant this weekend if I get a chance. These fish might move on to Boston soon.

TerryW
Old 10-13-2000, 09:15 AM
i'm so outta here

<blockquote><hr>These fish might move on
to Boston soon.
<hr></blockquote>

... or Chatham
Old 10-13-2000, 10:30 AM

Started out of Beverly Harbor around 6:30 with some breaks and many birds diving.....seemd to be micros so we headed out looking for bigger splashes.....out trip took us down the river and then over to the beaches. Saw Juro over on Singing Beach and looked like he hooked up as we where going by......found many schools of Macs beating up bait and drawing the attention of the birds.....headed back over to Salem Harbor area and finally picked up some fish. Fish where from in the hi-teens to mid-twenties but all very strong.

Seems much quieter than last week........

John
Old 10-13-2000, 10:47 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Hmm,

I have never been to either of these North Shore haunts. Thus, I was wondering: do you think that I would greatly increase the "fishability" of these areas if I were to fish from my kayak? I have 2 kayaks (unfortunately stashed South of Boston for Cape travels - I live in NH) and if anybody is really itchy to get out into North Shore fishy waters in a kayak then I could possibly set it up. Any interest?

Basically, if lots of fish have been schooling in the area and they are out of SWFF range then the kayak is key. I run into these sorts of problems all the time at Poppy and the yak can save the day.

Any comments?

-Mike Doogue
Old 10-13-2000, 11:17 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I don't think you'll need it - but if you bring it you might extend the day. The fish are in tight at dawn and dusk and venture out and about during bright sun.

Target off light hours and you won't need it but hey, better safe than sorry, eh?

If they aren't in one spot, keep moving - they are definitely in the area!

good luck,
Juro
Old 10-13-2000, 11:33 AM

Nick,

Did you have two guys to your left this morning? I think we spoke briefly. I was towards the left side of the cove, green hat/ green jacket. Saw your fish.

Got in the water at 5:45. First cast snagged a rock. Schoolie on second cast. Caught a bunch. Lots of fish on that left side, but it did stop completely by 6:30. There seemed to be about three waves of fish in that 45 minute period.

Checked out a couple of other nice beaches after I left there. Arrived at Singing Beach as Juro was leaving. Details, Juro? Went to the far left of the beach. Nothing there, but birds diving at far RIGHT end. Boogied to the right end and made it just in time to see the last bird leave. Three casts later, looked back, and guess where the birds were diving?

Beautiful morning.
Old 10-13-2000, 11:38 AM
Shark Bait

Bill, that was me alright. I should have left with you guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.