Fly Fishing Forum banner

Monomoy - July 4th week

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Nathan Smith 
#1 ·
We're spending the July 4th week in Orleans & I'm hoping to spend a day on Monomoy. Ideally, I'd rather not plan to go alone. Anyone interested and/or in the area and amenable to company?

Tod

#5 ·
All,

As a novice to the area, not sure on best tide(s), etc. but looks like we may be able to establish a quorum for Monday or Wednesday (as I figure on spending the 4th doing patriotic activities with the family). Appears that a.m. low tides are at 7:30 (7/3) and 9:15 (7/5). Any thoughts, preferences, recommendations?

Nate - any chance you were poking around Firefly Outfitters recently? Think I may have seen you there while walking by outside...

#6 ·
IMHO Trends have been the following:

a) South Beach good through dropping tide; right thru dead along dropoff and at low near the trenches south of drop-off. Fish moving right to left with the ebb are eager to hit flies, over 30" common. Good sight fishing on the flood, except for the fact that fish have gotten suddenly finicky. Ocean side fishing well when seals are not an issue. Fish seem more willing to bite way up inside (north) than down by the Monomoys.

b) North Monomoy fair/improving sight fishing on flats on the top half of the flood and first part of the drop (watch out for the flood tide if on the flats). North end flats / channel fishing best as far as I can see.

Deep trenches fishing well on hard running intermediate tides, particularly where flats funnel into trenches with good flow. Slack high tide brings fish to deep channel at peat banks north of seal packs.

<font size="1">See Randy Jones' report for a more detailed account of the Monomoy area.</font><!--1-->

#9 ·
Being at the bottom of the learning curve, I haven't tried the late night fishing. I have stayed after sunset into the first hour or so of darkness, when the bite is off. At this time, typically, I spend more time untangling my line than fishing. This will be a good week to work on night time casting skills. Also, I need to break out my rut and try some new locations. I'm thinking Nauset at sunrise, Barnstable Harbor, Paine's Creek.

Really looking forward to Monomony on Friday.

Fred A.

#10 ·
Fred - sorry to hear we probably cannot connect.

Nate - I'll send you an email with my cell phone # so that we may be able to connect sometime between Sat-Wed. We'll be in Orleans from Sat afternoon and at this point, Weds looks like a good day - familywise. Juro - does that work for you?

#11 ·
Wednesday would be good. With the tides I suggest we hit the north island, say at 8:00. That will get us fishing by 8:45 or so, and we can fishing the last part of the outgoing and the flood tide. It will be less crowded then Monday because most people will be recovering from the 4th.
Also I will be fishing Brewster Flats, Sesuit on Monday and Tuesday, and will be doing some night fishing on Saturday night if anyone is interested.

TodA-
I don't think that was me. The last time I was at firefly was the Monday after the Spring clave. I got my new trout rod there, a 8'6" 4wt Thomas & Thomas LPS, love it. Also my nomal PC is dead (never test new software on your business PC) so I can't get email. Please leave me a voice mail on my work number 781-262-6649

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.