Tunoid leftovers - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2000, 11:46 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Tunoid leftovers

One distinct trend I've noted since my return is (a) a lot of bonito reports in Rhody and (b) warm weather. Put two and two together and it makes me think of a late run for bonito to Rhody! I have Sat. open... I think... and I'd have to find someone with a boat.

Napatree on a strong tide might do it. Anyway it's Wednesday and time for weekend plans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2000, 11:48 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
RE:Tunoid leftovers

Juro,
I should be able to make it this weekend on Saturday. I could bring my kayak, but I don't think the two of us would fit and I only have one paddle.
Nick
Old 10-25-2000, 01:54 PM

Hey, I could call my Uncle Bubba, see how his Bassboat handles the breachways.

TerryW
Old 10-25-2000, 02:36 PM

Juro,

I've sort of made plans to stay local this weekend, if you know what I mean (maybe a quick N. Shore run though). But your idea is very, very, tempting.
Old 10-25-2000, 06:15 PM
_

Can't help with the boat, but I may be casting from shore if the weather holds.
Old 10-25-2000, 09:59 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Juro,

I was planning on going out sunday. Might not be a good boating day if the gale backs up on us. I believe you and I have fished near gale conditions before 8-). I have already heard one report of potentially nasty weather coming our way. Naturally the source of the report was the wife trying to get me to give up on this fishing this weekend. Also if the coast is under siege, we could chase some rainbow out west of home too. I'm afraid it's going to take a whole lot more than a little ol storm to stop me from going fishin. .

Greg.
Old 10-25-2000, 11:33 PM

Greg -

I haven't been following the weather, sounds like you have and we're looking at a storm coming in for the weekend. If it's a sou'wester we'd be in trouble on the Rhody coast.

I heard from Harry Koons at Nauset Angler that after a 10 day slump the cows are back on the backside beaches.

Small fish all over the place 24" class in Chatham still, which means there will be some big fish around as well provided the bait is still inside. Mean zero low, same as the last time we hit it - good access to big girl at 8:45 low; night tide minus.

Bayside flats run would be ideal, most likely small fish but if the pogies are in the area... just as the day warms the flats would bare all. If the storm is Nor'east or involves lightning, don't go there.

Southside "home waters" is alive this time of year, lots of shorts and an occasional submarine is the drill. The tease there is the subs chase the shorts in when you hook 'em and drive you crazy!

North shore pogie biomass is a ticking clock waiting to go nuclear! With the weather being as it is, all warming estuaries have the potential of holding late season fish way beyond nature's calendar call. You should've seen the blitz I saw today from the air... (other post).

Another thrill for the taking... brood stock salmon are getting ready for stocking in area ponds. Great chance to troll a streamer or cast early from shore to find something that really rips the line and leaps to the sky... even if they are manufactured fish (sorry, just went to BC). Good sport though and awareness of eastern salmonids is a good thing.

Lots of schoolie action from B-Bay to the southwest, Al's and Roops homewaters are alive with migrating fish right now.

Then there's Rhody and the prospect of greenbacks before the season fades...
Old 10-26-2000, 12:12 AM

Greg -

Weather looks good... <!--http--><a href="http://www.weather.com/weather/cities/us_ri_westerly.html" target="_blank">HERE</a><!--url-->

Old 10-26-2000, 08:02 AM
i'm so outta here

Juro/Greg,

I heard even if the storm passes to our east, seas are going to be turbulent. Not a place for my 14' skiff.

Jen just released me from my Maine obligations, but I'm wondering if I should go with her anyway, check out the north shore pogie situation on the way, and save it up for next weekend.

I've heard that while the cows are back on the outer beaches, they won't take flies and only the eel guys are scoring. Big surf this weekend.

So many choices, so little brain left to decide

al
Old 10-26-2000, 09:09 AM
President of CAC

Juro, I will be going to Chatham next weekend...Nov. 3,4 &5 to clean up the cottage. Do you think it would be possible that the cut will still produce? from what I am reading here it sounds like it still might.. I would rather do that than go to School House Pond or Goose pond for trout. But, this would be the farthest out in the season I would have tried for stripers. What do you or any of the other guys think from what you all have heard. Thanks
Old 10-26-2000, 09:13 AM

Al -

The cows are on the backside beaches but won't take flies? When I hear that I can't help but think "conventional thinking again". I can't get myself to think that the fish know the difference between a well-presented fly and a well-presented bait. Whoever made such an assessment must really know bass

Talk about lumping into a category! I say bull, I might just go out there to prove otherwise.

Juro
Old 10-26-2000, 09:38 AM

John -

Let me check my calendar, I might join you weather provided. Harry Koons caught his last bass last year on December 11 from Nauset Inlet, a 36" fish on a fly. I had a mid-November day on the bayside (Chapin / Bass Hole) that was epic, and fished to nearly Thanksgiving on the Rhody coast the two years prior. I think that weekend is easily within the realm of possibility.

Need any help closing down the Chatham Anglers' Society HQ?
Old 10-26-2000, 09:48 AM
i'm so outta here

John - there are plenty of fish around. I'd try for the big line pull out at the cut or a little further north. Maybe I'll see you out there if the weather cooperates

Juro - PLEASE! We've all seen situations where bass get clued in on one particular kind of presentation or bait, and I'm just pasasing on some info. It worked to my advantage out at big girl bar. I was hooking cows and the spin guys were grinding their teeth.
Old 10-26-2000, 10:35 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick

I would love to witness a little contest out at the bar this weekend. I can just stand to the side and soak up all the knowledge I can. Sounds great to me. Where do I sign up?
Old 10-26-2000, 11:43 AM
Middle Aged Member

Well, I'm taking Friday off and will either go to Big Girl bar (about an 8:00AM low I believe)or explore around Buzzards Bay or maybe both. If I have enoegh time (engagement tommorow night) I'll post a report.

Regards,
Fred A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.