South tip rip trip quip - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2000, 09:20 PM
i'm so outta here

South tip rip trip quip

We came, we saw, we fished our effing brains out!

Tough day on South Monomoy island right up until the last hour before Keith came to pick us up. I must have made 200 casts without so much as a bump. To give you some sense of just how desperate things were, even the Estey brothers only hand a fish or three each by 3:00 PM.

But as the tide ebbed and the rip began to form on the inner bar the fish started going mental. Squid patterns and deep sand eels were yielding a hit on every cast and a fish on every other. Hawkeye took a monster 36 incher home with him. I landed a 25" and ~29" - so breaks my daytime/Monomoy no fish streak. It was so hard to pull away from the rip while the fish were still on, but adulthood had us by the short and curlies. Keith was waiting and it was time to go. Doh!!

BTW, the guy fishing spin gear down the beach from me a ways (not a member of our group but some out of state yahoo with a boat) had it in his head to take home a striper too. Unfortunately, he hadn't heard there's a size limit. By the time I noticed what he was doing, he already had a short burried in the sand next to his pack on shore and was about to add another.... I disabused him of this notion. I wanted to give him a treble hook enema, but opted for a verbal thrashing and a speedy return to the fishing. <geesh!!>

Anyway, weather was not an issue, little wind, some clouds, much more sun than I expected. No sight fishing to speak of. I only saw a single seal this time out and no bait other than an occasional eel in the mouth of a tern. I did see one dead gull chick (Chris actually saw the chick get pecked to death by another gull(?))....strange.

All in all, an awesome adventure. Thanks! Juro for getting this one together. When and where is the next clave and who is organizing it?? I'd like to help.

Al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2000, 08:28 AM

RE:South tip rip trip quip

Yep.

Started off watching Bigcat land fish after fish in the AM. I started with a nice blue and a schoolie, a few more nice fish in the afternoon as the tide changed and then bang! Big fish. Like a dope I took that last cast and hooked into my biggest runner of the season, saw my backing for the first time this year as most of the group had packed up & headed back to meet the boat - I'm glad he spit the hook or I would have been begging a ride back form the picnicers.....

Thanks to Juro for organizing the trip. It was great to see some of the regulars again, meet a some new guys and spend the day with a group so focused on fly rodding.

Special thanks to whoever lost their anchor that I landed - it's already set up in the dinghy.

How about next weekend?

Roop
Old 07-30-2000, 01:54 PM

Thanks Juro for putting the trip toghter. Who lives better then us. I have not seen a group of hardcore fishermen like this before, we hit the beach running and did not stop till we had to meet Keith. To bad we could not have asked him to drive around the block a few times, so Roop could have concentrated on landing that big fish. Buy the way is there a IGAF tippet class for anchors

Juro,that Salmon was awsome. With the South Tip rip out of the way, what's the Cape of Good Hope rip.

Thanks
Tight Lines
John
Old 07-31-2000, 06:31 PM
Recent Member

I enjoyed my first Monomoy trip and I am ready for another try. Although I was skunked, I learned a lot, like don't go looking for flats when a perfectly fishable beach is right under your nose. I also learned to double check my knots before starting the casting and to drift the fly longer and fish deep! Geeze!

I took many pictures of the trip that I will scan in tonight and I will email to Juro so he can post. The picture of Hawkeye's 36 incher came out great! (I'll give you the print and negatives the next time we meet up at a clave or kayaking trip etc....). Count me in on the next trip......

Charles Whitehurst
Old 08-01-2000, 07:18 AM
Recent Member

THANKS AGAIN FOR A GREAT TRIP.

Even though I was smelling pretty skunky on the ride home, I had a great time. Sometimes those bass win. Actually I think my skunky ways should be over, I named my boat the other day and feel that my curse will now be lifted. Hope to get out there again real soon. I should have some photos tonight.

Chris
Old 08-01-2000, 07:57 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Well Chris, I saw some line singing off your rod but some of those fish were outright tough to land.

So... what's the new handle?
Old 08-01-2000, 02:26 PM

Sorry for my slow posting.

We arrived with the rip at the western edge of the tip and I walked past it with Terry to where the big rip would be when the current changed. The fishing was hard but with persistence the schoolies and blues were there to be had. I landed one schoolie on a deep sand eel, one on a largish squid, and almost got one on a popper. The blues really liked my deep sand eels – so much so that they decided to cut the line and keep a few. I was getting sporadic hits and hookups all day until the current changed direction and things started heating up until all hell broke loose about an hour before departure. The killer fly for me was a largish pink squid that needed to be closer and closer to the bottom as the current picked up speed. The two largest fish (27” and 36”) were hooked well before the line had a chance to drag the fly down – on the first couple of strips – but this was also before the current got very heavy. I kept the 36” fish and you may all be interested to know it was FULL of six inch sand eels and one much fatter and longer looking thing.

The picket line at the end of the day was amazing! Every time I looked up there were 2 or 3 rods bent in the heavy current with fat schoolies to potential cows that did not make it in. WOW what a way to end the day.

It was great seeing the regulars again as well as meeting some new die hards. I can’t wait for the next time!

Juro, A special thank you to you for spearheading this and making one of my two short rests extra special with the smoked salmon. MMMMM MMMM MMM!

Gregg
Old 08-01-2000, 02:48 PM

Great day out! Thanks to Mr. Makai.
Did the long quiet 6 hour portion of the day beside big Gregg mostly with a huge surface strike of a yakker that hadn't sunk yet, and a breakoff from a 3 or 4 lb bluefish.
Then when it heated up I moved over to the hotspot by the rip (thanks Bigcat and Roop for letting me squeeze in). After a few drifts, Gregg (resident Striper Guru) leans over and suggests letting my eel drop more and swinging longer into the rip. Ok, so I try it once and wham! I look back at Gregg and say "You mean like that". I was rewarded only with a 22" chubster though. A few minutes later Juro is giving us the word to leave and wham! Uh oh big fish and.....gone. Now everyone is walking away but me and Roopster and bang another big fish....Juro yells back "you got 10 minutes". So here I am wondering with a big bass on leaning hard into the rip do I:
A. Have <i>10 minutes</i> so keep fighting or...
B. Have <i>only</i> 10 mins get the heck up to the pick up point!

Well the fish resolved it by shaking off anyway, (as Sully so apropriately said "Damn barbless hooks!")
My striper education continues. Sorry to the new faces I didn't get to talk to more.
Transportation was courtesy of the Esteys Boys, thanks guys again (I think some of Greggs good fishing Karma molecules rubbed off on me on the ride back, look out!)

Terry

ps. Can't do those next weekends because somebody from this board has to go north and Smallmouth fish this year and it's me.
Anyone got a 6wt. I can borrow?
Old 08-01-2000, 07:51 PM
i'm so outta here

Terry - I have a 7 weight cheapo that actually casts pretty well. It's strung with decent Cortland line (floating) on a Flueger. It's yours for the asking. Let me know and I'll send it along with Greg to work.

al
Old 08-02-2000, 07:52 PM

Terry,

I've got a 7wt and a 4wt you can borrow. The 7 has a floating and full sink line and the 4 only has a floating. The only weekend I can see that they are not available is the 12 - 13th. I will be on the Beaverkill and Willowomac with my brother and dad celebrating his 60th.

Gregg
Old 08-02-2000, 09:06 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Terry - I have an 8wt if that's not too much. Next step down is a 5wt. Both Sages. Let me know.

Juro
Old 08-03-2000, 08:18 AM

Thanks guys, your generosity is overwhelming.
Ya know we ARE talking smallies here and maybe the odd Largemouth. I guess my old Orvis 5wt. glass would do the trick really. Anyone got an opinion on 5wts and bass?

TerryW
Old 08-03-2000, 11:38 AM
i'm so outta here

&gt;Anyone got an opinion on 5wts and bass?

Bring extra shorts

I've had troubles on the 7 wt mentioned above, but anything less than 5 pounds was not a problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.