Fishing For Atlantic Salmons - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2001, 12:42 PM
Recent Member

Fishing For Atlantic Salmons

A friend of mine just emailed me from Norway where he was fishing the GALA or something river, for giant Atlantic Steelhead.

He has been having problems hooking them and kept losing them for years.

Than he remember something I had taught him while salt water fishing and applied it with the ol' fly rod.

He let the Atlantic take the fly and gave him a foot or two with it and BAM solid hook set from -ell!

Outta of the 5 fish caught that week 2 were his. Let's be thankful we don't live in Scandinavia...

Those SOBs in Iceland net all the fish from both sides. THEY NEED TO BUY THEM OUT.

Wonder how much that would cost?

Angie
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2001, 12:54 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Years ago I called Orri Vigfussen to offer my respect and talk to him about the Greenland fishery he helped to buy out. I calculated the time zone differences and dialed the numbers.

Not sure who I was talking to but he did not understand English! Minor oversight. Expensive too.

In any case, it has been done before and it had an impact. As I am sure you know already the low populations don't help. Habitat for atlantics is a real issue, for instance in the northeastern US there is only a trace of the once healthy salmon population left after the industrial era. Most people find it beyond belief that salmon once thrived in Massachusetts, Maine, Connecticut, Vermont, etc.

The aquaculture threat is very real out there in the North Atlantic as well. We get angry when atlantics show up in the pacific streams but people in the north atlantic do too with the appearance of farm clones in their legendary salmon rivers.

On the fishing topic, I use the addage "wait until you feel the fish on the wrist to set the hook".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2001, 08:30 AM
Recent Member

Actually Juro,

My friend is an excellent fishermen, his first year in the states he caught 29 steelhead on a single handed rod, but it was a bumper crop year in 96 I think.

When we fished for Atlantics we'd wait for the pull but the fish came off, unlike steelhead. You have to give them the slack. The only reason why I got the one in Sweden because I was too wimpy (and a beginner) to wack it right away.

You should see the flies they tie there. Just beautiful and a total different color scheme than what we do.
Old 06-28-2001, 11:31 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thanks, I hope I get to fish there someday to test out your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.