Pumpkin Moon - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2000, 11:50 PM

Pumpkin Moon

Well, hit Singing beach around 5:30 with wife & in-laws. Meet up with Doogie & fished the far right end of the beach. At dark Doogie started hooking up. Then I finally got the stink of my Friday the 13th night skunking off me. The fish were small, but fiestey. Wife & in-laws headed home, then we saw the most awesome thing. Out of the cliffs to the North The Great Pumpkin rose out of the Pumpkin patch. No kidding, this huge, bright orange moon came creeping out of the rocks. Sort of looked like a dim sunrise with a face (no camera!). Doogie had to leave around 8:00; imagine that, some of us have social lives that don't revolve around fishing (blasphamy I say). The wind was kicking up out of the SE (on the right shoulder) anyway. I moved on to Whites, Black, & the point, nothing doing, even went to spin at the point because of the wind & I wanted to see if there was anything beyond fly casting distance, NADA.

I was going to call it an early night (9:15), but decided to give Singing another try. Got down there & the wind seemed to have died down, but I figured it was just calm in the parking lot, I took out the spin gear & headed to the beach. First bad sign, all of the fishermen (fly & bait) had left, only teen-agers remained. Fished off to the far left & after about 5 casts hooked a schoolie, then another. As I was casting, I thought to myself, boy the moon is making the waves look funny, as if it was raining, then thud, thud, thud on the waders (which don't leak thanks to a waterbed repair kit). I put my head lamp on to discover that I was surrounded by Juvie Pogies. Then splash, splash, splash, Schoolies (& maybe some biggies) busting. Well, if a blitz is going to happen I want my fly rod, so off I run back to the car. Went with an intermediate & a juvie pogie pattern. Casted & hooked up a few times, then the pogies just slid out to my right. I don't know if these small fish just don't have the where-with-all to pin bait, or if they are content cruising back & forth feeding at there leisure.

So for the next hour or so, it was schoolies busting juvie pogies for 2-3 minutes, then nothing for 5-10 minutes, then rinse & repeat. Two other fly guys showed up & one left. sometimes they were a full cast away, other times they were right at the rod tip. Due to the wind there was some small 2' surf & in the moonlight you could occasionally see a dark striper silluette in the surf. After hooking the umpteenth schoolie & thinking, the NEXT one will be THE slammer, I decided to call it quites. Stopped to talk with the other fly guy before I left & sure enough, it was Jason, looking for a 33" repeat. If the bog boys come in later Jason, I'll hang myself, but good luck!

Well, I had a lot of fun. But I think Terry's post is right on, the progression is Southward. Terry, I need Devearoux directions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2000, 09:55 AM
Wanna be striper bum

RE:Pumpkin Moon

Greg,

Damn...your post was making me a little nervous. I was waiting to hear that you found yourself in fishing nirvana with big bruisers blitzing all around you. That would have taught me to have a social life. Alas, unfortunately, no bruisers. Still, I hope that you enjoyed the schoolies. I thought that some bait might show up given the incoming tide and the strong on-shore wind that kicked up before I left.

Persistence is key for those kinds of blitzing experiences. On Friday night I hung around until 1 AM waiting for some solid bait to arrive. The bait never arrived. I am glad that the bait came on by for you last night. Even if it was on the night where I sold out to the tune of women and drink.

What an awesome pumpkin moon.

Maybe I will see you in Rhode Island.

-Doogue
Old 10-15-2000, 10:12 AM
President of CAC

Grego, That's what night fishing does to me... failure to recognize you two guys and I did not want to park right next to two flyfishermen... I got to Singing beach around 6 and saw two fly guys to the right , next to the rocks so I planted myself about 100 yards to their left. Right behind me were some people sitting and I guess it was you who had taken a break and walked up to them.. I had forgotten that you said you would be with some relatives otherwise I would have called out. I was in shorts so left around 8 just as that big moon was over the horizon. 2 hours , three schoolies on the peanut bunker. I wish I had called out but now I know it was you and Tom. To bad I did not hook up with you guys.. see you again.. John M.
Old 10-15-2000, 11:09 AM

John,
To top it all off, I had an extra pair of (old, heavey, rubber) waders in the car, because I was not sure of my patch job was going to hold! Oh well, next time.
Old 10-15-2000, 07:44 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

Okay, okay, okay, I'm sick of hearing about these wonderful fishing nights when I'm not with my little Bro'.

I enjoyed the same "Great Pumpkin" as it rose over the Atlantic down in Kittyhawk, NC. I had just finished gorging myself on King Crab legs, fried oysters, and steak & scallop skewers at a college friends home. Regretably, though, I had no rod. The locals were killing blues from the fishing piers and the surf.

Back to the point at hand, though. The last two times I fished with my brother I caught one fish per night. Now I read that he hooks up with y'all and starts reeling in stripers on every cast?!?!

It's time that I got out of the house a little more, broadened my horizons so to speak. If I can just sneak out, under the diaper duty radar. Hopefully I'll get to meet you all next year. Perhaps even this year it the fishing gods allow.

All the best, and good fishing,

-Mark
Old 10-15-2000, 09:10 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Hey,

It's my long-lost brother. Mark, I am thinking about heading to Rhode Island with the posse next weekend. Time to put your money where your mouth is and head out for one last foray in the surf. I know that it is hard to get away but it will be a last hoorah for the season. You have 6 months of free weekends to make up for this one. Sean will be changing his own diapers by then, right?

I missed you this weekend. I'll call you soon.

-Mike Doogue
Old 10-16-2000, 07:51 AM

I saw the Great Pumkin too, coming home from Mt. Monadnock. I was wondering if any of yous were fishing it. I was right.

Terry
Old 10-16-2000, 08:56 AM

Terry,
What did you think, I'd be home listening to the crickets chirp, No Way!
Old 10-16-2000, 09:23 AM
i'm so outta here

Doogue brothers,

As always, all are welcome and it would be great to get you guys fishing together. I realy hope it happens!

If it does, please either signup for the clave or send me word as soon as plans become final. We are currently planning on 16 for dinner. Juro and I will be putting together a info sheet with directions, tides, etc.

Al

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.