PI tomorrow - how bad will the crowds be, and anyone else going? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2000, 05:50 PM

PI tomorrow - how bad will the crowds be, and anyone else going?

Guys,

Taking my dad out tomorrow for his first fly fishing experience. It might be a mistake, as he doesn't have any FF background. I'll be bringing a spinning rod and some sluggos as back-up though. I'd be pumped to have him catch a fish - but I am wondering what the crowds in the morning will look like - reading some of the recent reports it seems as if the place is packed.

We'll be arriving around 7:30 and am hoping to fish around low tide which will be around 11:15 at the mouth. Hopefully the guys that have to go to work will boogie around then and there will be some room to fish a few spots. What do some of you regular PI junkies think? Am I being too optimistic hoping for similar crowds as last week, or has the place really started to pack in anglers during the weekdays as well?

Thanks,

Pete M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2000, 08:05 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:PI tomorrow - how bad will the crowds be, and anyone else going?

Hi Pete -

I'd say that as the low tide approaches, the crowds will thin and you'll have plenty of room after 9am. Watch for possible thundershowers, maybe staying around the docks would be a good thing?

I have an appointment in the morning that may be switchable to afternoon. If so look for me around the docks and the bend (top of the island).

My recent experiences have been (all flies) that either a full sink or 325 grain QD line with a weighted eye sand eel pattern has been very effective. The fish have been chunky one day, rats the next - and a mix of the two in between. It can get a little frustrating when the fish are all nano-sized... but since the currents change the scenery every 5 minutes one never knows what will happen.

During times of fast current flows, work the fly very deep and very slow. At such times the strip distance is not the operative part of the action, the fly dances around like crazy even when sitting on the sand. During slack tides, give it a snappy retrieve and if nothing hits try the crab-catcher retrieve again.

If he uses the spinning gear and jigs or sluggos, he's sure to hammer some fish - but the fly situation is so easy that it's a shame not to go for it. The key is deep and slow, take time to tempt the fish as they swim along the drop-off with the current. Don't bother to wade past the ankles or shins in the channel, many fish hit right at the edge.

In any case, good luck.
Old 05-25-2000, 04:42 AM

Juro,

Thanks for the reply - I'll be looking for you out there. We'll be easy to spot - two uncoordinated guys both acting impatiently
Old 05-25-2000, 01:41 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Pete - couldn't switch my morning appointment as much as I wish I did... the morning looked really pleasant until around 10am. How'd it go?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.