VHF Channel? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2000, 09:18 AM

VHF Channel?

Have you guys picked a VHF channel to operate on? I have a charter and Sunday and would be happy to report any activity I run into as I head in your direction from about 10 miles east (where the crowds are much lighter).

Guys working the shore may do well on the washburn Jetty at Waquoit and along the beach at the end of the Jetty. On Wednesday it would have been easy to catch albies and some nice bass from those locations. Crease flies and white 6 inch slug-gos were the ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2000, 09:52 AM

RE:VHF Channel?

Thanks for the great report Steve. I'm not sure what the boat owners prefer for channels though. Hopefully some will respond to this thread.
Old 09-08-2000, 10:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to BobD Send a message via Yahoo to BobD

Capt. Steve,

Not sure we have chosen a channel to monitor for the weekend yet. Let us know which one you might be listening on and I'll give you a call Sunday morning and let you know where we are. Will you be in Slamdance I or II??
Old 09-08-2000, 12:55 PM

I'll monitor ch. 78 and will hail NE Bay when I find the fish. I'll also have a cell phone with me (508) 631-7506
Old 09-08-2000, 01:29 PM

Steve,

Thanks for picking a channel, I'm never sure which ones are clear & under-utilized.

I can be hailed as LOGO-1.

Good Luck.
Old 09-13-2000, 03:10 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Steve -

Thanks for the long-distance guidance during Boneclave weekend... we were thinking about Lackey's, the Vineyard, etc. after loading all our gear on the island campsite. It was kind of a late start (8:00 - 8:30?) so we hailed you to see what you had to say.

Crackle...hiss..."3 albies and a spanish"...crackle.

Did you hear that? He's already been into four exotics, and we were just getting started. When we asked for further clarification... hiss... crackle.... "east".

Did he say "east"? Sounded like it. Yeah he did! We agreed, "east" as the man says. Ruben hit the gas and several miles later we were into birds, acrobatic spanish macks and a hard running rip. Ruben set us up perfectly for the first drift and I was happy to experience a first cast hookup! Just like that the clave was underway.

Fishing is full of superstitions and inspirations. You may not have known it but you ended up setting the pace for our daily raids on the incoming rips to the east.

best regards,

Juro
Old 09-14-2000, 11:33 AM

Steve,
Hmmm...."3 albies and a spanish".....no idea.....
I still don't believe 6"white sluggos work!
DB
Old 09-14-2000, 11:57 AM

Doug -

That's what we thought we heard... if you were on the channel maybe you could clarify what was said (vs. what we heard). Whatever was really said didn't matter to us, we went east with the notion of exotics and that's what we found.

But now you got my curiosity...
Old 09-14-2000, 12:50 PM
_

Doug,

Can't confirm whether 6" white sluggos work, but I've had good success with 4.5" and 3" sluggos in the alewife and Arkansas shiner colors. I picked up some 3" white sluggos and gave those a try with only minimal success -- one fluke and one tail-hooked Spanish mack (was it fleeing from my lure?) When I saw one of the sand eels swimming on the surface I thought that my 3" Arkansas shiner sluggos were a perfect match. The fish thought so too, as they ate almost the whole package.

Quentin
Old 09-14-2000, 06:07 PM

Juro,
If you are talking last Sunday...Sept.10...I had the priviledge of being ON Mr. Moore's boat...
I was having so MUCH fun, I really did not pay attention to his VHF hails and cell phone calls!
I do recall him telling someone to head east...
Doug
Old 09-14-2000, 06:13 PM

Quentin,
I'm only kidding about the white Sluggos! Mr. Moore swears by them...though he has a new lure in his possession!
I thought this was a fly fishing board!
( I'm kidding again....I have a very difficult time putting my spinning rods down.) Usually post spinning rod reports on one of the other boards...out of respect for Mr. Mukai.

Doug B.
Old 09-14-2000, 06:24 PM
i'm so outta here

Doug,

No one gets my humor either

Al
Old 09-14-2000, 08:17 PM
_

Sorry guys, I saw the word "sluggo" and got all excited . . . Finally saw something I know a little bit about :-}

I did think twice about posting it because I know this board is supposed to be about flyfishing. Hey, wait a minute . . . I seem to recall seeing a post (a long, long time ago on a board far, far away) about casting three inch sluggos on a fly rod. There, now it's about flyfishing ;-]

BTW, seeing you guys in action at the Boneclave has really gotten me hooked this time (please forgive the cliche). I'm definitely getting myself a salty flyrodding set-up. Even if I cant cast it, I can always go down to the stone pier or the Wacky jetty and dangle a sluggo in the water ZZZZZZZZZZZzzZzZzzzzzzZZZzzzzzZZZ

Q
Old 09-15-2000, 08:57 AM

Quentin -

Sorry I did not remember to do a quick casting lesson at the clave. In retrospect the beach would have been a great spot to do it. Let's plan on getting together ASAP. Do you work anywhere near Waltham?
Old 09-15-2000, 10:17 AM

I think it was around 08:30 or 09:00 when I first heard Logo-1 being hailed and tried to call you guys over. By that time Doug had indeed landed 3 albies and 1 spanish mackerel (which hit the rail and plopped back into the water). The action was hot along Craigville and then right outside Centerville River until about 10:30 when it sort of shut down. There were still plenty of fish around, but not like it had been when we first got out at 06:30 and by that time there were 25 boats in the area.

Glad to hear you guys headed east and found them on your way, and I'm sorry we didn't run into any of you while we were out there. Sounds like east is the way to go this weekend too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.