Baja fish story - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2001, 08:57 PM

Baja fish story

Okay, this is anything but a steelhead report. But I thought some of you might enjoy a little story about fishing a few km north of the Tropic of Cancer. The first week of June I spent two days walking the beaches on the East Cape of Baja, fly fishing the Gulf of California with a 10wt. I only caught a few fish, but the one pictured below was the strongest fish I've ever hooked.
[img]"http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~mantua/BAJA/baja03_01.jpg"[/img]

For a few more pictures and a more detailed account, go to:
http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~mantua/BAJA

After landing this fish, I quit for the day. I needed a swim and
a couple of cold Pacificos.

The next afternoon I was walking the same beach. I almost lived a repeat performance. A slightly smaller Jack was ripping up and down the surf zone, and I dropped another clouser in front of him. He picked it up, I set the hook and thought "here we go again!" It was exciting for just a few seconds. The fish started ripping line out of my stripping basket but the hook pulled free. I didn't get another shot at a Jack that afternoon or the next morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2001, 09:07 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

AWESOME! I enjoyed all of the pics as well. Nice work Holmes. Next time I get the chance I am going to have to wrestle one of those speedsters.

BTW - is that the 10wt 4pc RPL? I am considering the 10wt 4pc VPS, presumably the same blank. How do you like it?
Old 06-26-2001, 01:54 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Great pictures!!
Old 06-26-2001, 02:44 PM

That rod is a 2 piece 1090 RPL. Not a pleasure to pack on the airplane, and Dylan tells me that the new 4-pc sage saltwater rods are awesome, but I haven't had a chance to try them.

Les Johnson also warned that my Lampson drag might melt down if I got into too many fish, but it held just fine on that one Jack. One of these days I'll get a good saltwater reel.
Old 06-26-2001, 02:47 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The Lamson bonefish, permit and tarpon reels would be better for that job. They had a big game cork drag.

I wish Waterworks would just put the new conical delrin drag into the old LP body! Good ol' fashioned meat-and-potatoes bar stock aesthetics with the space age silky smooth big fish drag... I'd be happy as the proverbial pig in slop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.