Fly Fishing Forum banner

Baja fish story

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Okay, this is anything but a steelhead report. But I thought some of you might enjoy a little story about fishing a few km north of the Tropic of Cancer. The first week of June I spent two days walking the beaches on the East Cape of Baja, fly fishing the Gulf of California with a 10wt. I only caught a few fish, but the one pictured below was the strongest fish I've ever hooked.

For a few more pictures and a more detailed account, go to:
http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~mantua/BAJA

After landing this fish, I quit for the day. I needed a swim and
a couple of cold Pacificos.

The next afternoon I was walking the same beach. I almost lived a repeat performance. A slightly smaller Jack was ripping up and down the surf zone, and I dropped another clouser in front of him. He picked it up, I set the hook and thought "here we go again!" It was exciting for just a few seconds. The fish started ripping line out of my stripping basket but the hook pulled free. I didn't get another shot at a Jack that afternoon or the next morning.

See less See more
#2 ·
AWESOME! I enjoyed all of the pics as well. Nice work Holmes. Next time I get the chance I am going to have to wrestle one of those speedsters.

BTW - is that the 10wt 4pc RPL? I am considering the 10wt 4pc VPS, presumably the same blank. How do you like it?

#4 ·
That rod is a 2 piece 1090 RPL. Not a pleasure to pack on the airplane, and Dylan tells me that the new 4-pc sage saltwater rods are awesome, but I haven't had a chance to try them.

Les Johnson also warned that my Lampson drag might melt down if I got into too many fish, but it held just fine on that one Jack. One of these days I'll get a good saltwater reel.

#5 ·
The Lamson bonefish, permit and tarpon reels would be better for that job. They had a big game cork drag.

I wish Waterworks would just put the new conical delrin drag into the old LP body! Good ol' fashioned meat-and-potatoes bar stock aesthetics with the space age silky smooth big fish drag... I'd be happy as the proverbial pig in slop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.