southside manana? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2000, 09:12 AM

southside manana?

Heading down to the Southside of the Cape tomorrow for my first crack this year at the inshore tunoid species. Hoping to avoid the madness and hook my friend up with his first bone or albie ever, as well as my first of the year. The "paranoid from crazy tuna obsessed fishermen/boat rage" radar will be on full power, however i would be happy to exchange a few pleasantries and talk shop with any of the friendly forces that might be in the area...

18' Parker, ch. 69 or 71, "elizabeth reed" although it's not letterd on the boat....Come say hello.

I feel like Hill Street Blues but,

Let's be careful out there.

Oh, and tight lines!

Jeff Ganguly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2000, 10:31 AM

RE:southside manana?

Hey Jeff,
'Liz Reed? Are you an Allman Bros. fan? Dicky Betts got that name off a headstone.

Terry
Old 09-01-2000, 11:03 AM

Terry,
You got it, I am a big fan. My other love growing up besides fishing was the guitar--I started when I was twelve. Had a band in college tht used to cover a lot of Allmans, and Liz Reed was kind of one of our signiture tunes. I thought it made a nice boat name and might bring me some good karma--although Allan Woody just died and Dickie Betts got booted out of the band this summer, then went loco, tried to kill his wife and was involved in an ariel pusuit by FLA police---sounds a little bit like the silliness that's been going on down on the Cape waters--I hope I don't jinx myself.

I heard the headstone story--good one.

btw--to go back to the spring, how have you made out on the pollock fly front? I have had some success this year, but no monsters. However, during my brother's bachelor party fishing trip last weekend, we did manage a 44" 33 lber on a live one. This fact alone will keep me tying and fishing big pollock patterns!

Jeff
Old 09-01-2000, 11:38 AM

On the Pollack front: With most of the action on the cape this year I have not been able to cast at the North Shore rock structures but a couple times this year. One was the Outer Harbor with Bob Pink. I put on my Pollack pattern (brown), tossed it in to some rocks and got a few intersted Stripers to whack at it up to 22". That was enough encouragement for me to do this again. One very cool thing was once I was retrieving that same fly and a couple pollack came shooting out to look at it. The fly looked just like them! Coppery colored backs!
Also, I caught a few Pollack up at MAnchester by the Sea and they were much more Silvery. I do have some Silver ones but it's impossible to cast beyong the ledge on Shore Dr. if you know where I mean. Maybe next year. We should do a Pollack Quest some time around Nahant or the Harbor Islands.

Terry

ps. I play Liz Reed too, love those chords and lead.
Old 09-01-2000, 12:42 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Boy, I wish I were going to be out there to hail you guys. Moving day for me! Gotta put the truck to use... but I'll have a Monomoy Monday.

Best of luck pursuing the green rockets, hope you score. Your timing seems right on!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.